IGNORED

Questions on swapping a 77 space-saving spare tire well into a 76 spare tire well

Guchov

I have a 1976 280z I am restoring that I have no gas tank for, while I also have a 77 280z with the space saver rear tire well and that car has a nice cleaned gas tank. My questions are:

1. Would drilling out the spot welds and swapping the space saver well into the 76 car allow me to run the 77 gas tank and fuel components in my 76?

2. What straps and modification would I need to do to secure the tank if it fits?

3. Would the stock fuel lines from the 77 fit in my 76 or would I have to modify or create my own lines?

4. Would the fuel filler neck from the 77 line up in the 76 car?

That seems like an awful lot of work when you could just sell your tank and buy the correct tank, either used, or new, since there is now a company making new ones, although I don't know if they're making the ones that are exactly identical to a '76 tank since the fuel tanks changed a bit over the years from 70-76. I would also greatly prefer a full size spare over a space saver. 

Edited by rturbo 930
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

That seems like an awful lot of work when you could just sell your tank and buy the correct tank, either used, or new, since there is now a company making new ones, although I don't know if they're making the ones that are exactly identical to a '76 tank since the fuel tanks changed a bit over the years from 70-76. I would also greatly prefer a full size spare over a space saver. 

Agree - 100%. I wouldn't do that, and I repair Datsun sheet metal for a living. (well, not really "for a living" - I'm retired - but that's what I do at the shop most days...)