IGNORED

Help with dizzy ID

Trnelson

I’ve inherited this electronic ignition system, it was working fine before I tore the engine down and assume it will be ok when I fire it back up. I’d like to find the appropriate cap and rotor for the short term AND know exactly what I have. To this uneducated shade tree mechanic ignition systems are the ultimate form of black voodoo magic. If anyone recognizes these parts please chime in. I’d like to upgrade to the 123 but I think some ZTherapy carbs may predicate the dizzy... short term 

Please let me know if pics of other parts would be helpful. 

thanks

Tom

DD297FB9-0A5D-435C-96CD-C78021B80408.jpeg

974E0880-E66A-4B68-8D35-FE204CE18B8B.jpeg

8BB87A69-1FC3-4348-BF27-6E816A38B4AE.jpeg

885FAF6E-20FD-41FB-9970-F5BDB358CB93.jpeg

Edited by Trnelson

Is it just me or are the points missing from the dizzy? Is that a magnetic-pickup upgrade?

These cap/rotors should work https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1972,240z,2.4l+l6,1209169,ignition,distributor+rotor,7136

As the distributor looks like a points type.

Here is a manual for the XR3000 https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/xr700 instructions.pdf

That crane box basically senses the magnetic-pickup on the distributor, and tells the coil when to send the spark through. Its considered to be an upgrade to the points system.

I know next to nothing about distributors so I can’t fully answer your question. I can tell that the points have been deleted but I honestly have no idea what they were replaced with. Do you think this is something I should try to work with or think about upgrading/replacing all of the components?  Maybe cap and rotor for now and run her till she lays down?  
Thanks for the links, I’ll check them out. 

• 2 weeks later...

No issues, I’ve spent the last 2 months refreshing the engine and I’m just looking at everything as I put it back together to make sure it’s in good condition or replace parts as needed. It ran fine before I pulled it so I’ve just put a new cap and rotor on it as part of the refresh. Glad to hear that you’ve had good luck with this setup. What coil do you run on yours?

Thanks

I have a crane coil that I purchased at the same time. Is there any indication of what yours is? Doesn’t look stock so I would think you should be good to use it again. This system sEnds an improved spark so a good set of plug wires is always good.  
if you had the oil pump off make sure you get it back to 11:20 at TDC.  With the rotor on #1 you can move the sensor until the red light comes on. If you have moved it try it first. 

let me know if you want photos. 
don

Thank you for the information, I had no idea that there was a light!  I’m finished with the engine but not ready to drop it back in yet. I’ve got a couple weeks worth of items to take care of while the engine and trans are out.  I may get it touch when it’s time to fire it up.  In the mean time I’ll dig through some old receipts to see if there is anything on the coil. 

Tom

Edited by Trnelson

4 hours ago, Trnelson said:

Thank you for the information, I had no idea that there was a light!  

It's all right here in Post #3.  The XR3000 instructions are included.  Summit chose a poor file name.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, heyitsrama said: