IGNORED

1976 280 Z from Ohio to Dubai

BAS_DXB

3 hours ago, BAS_DXB said:

He is definitely someone I recommend and would trust again for new projects !

I also noticed the super tight fitting while disassembling the dash, and gave the gauge brackets in order to adjust it. Benefits of the alcantara being thinner than leather, everything falls into place.

Where can one buy Alcantera?

And it started!

First step with the overall primer, then seam seal and light body filler to smooth the denting done on the transmission tunnel and spare wheel well.

First focus is on the under carriage as starting with the rock guard/paint under the car first (to be completed by Thursday).

Photo 22-02-2021, 2 08 40 PM.jpg

A first coat/body filler step in the engine bay and interior as well, but this will be finalized once under carriage is done and the suspensions / trains / wheels installed, before the rest of the painting starts.

Photo 22-02-2021, 2 10 00 PM.jpg

Having everything in a uniform color is super satisfying, the progress is real.

Photo 22-02-2021, 2 09 29 PM.jpgPhoto 22-02-2021, 2 09 42 PM.jpg

The hood and trunk have been taken care of as well, some light denting but overall clean condition (trunk lock deleted in favor of an automatic release button).

Photo 22-02-2021, 2 02 29 PM.jpg

Finally, progress on the engine - Let there be black! Everything black (only the water pump and alternator in aluminum, the oil filter is the original Nissan light blue). The valve cover will receive a final touch that I won't reveal before the car is completed...

Photo 22-02-2021, 2 03 07 PM.jpgPhoto 22-02-2021, 1 59 23 PM.jpg

• Like 2

I looked at the website you gave us..  and asked myself... look at the hides there in this pic.... HOW BIG ARE THE EURO COWS???? 😂

IMG_1416.JPG

btw if i look for alcantara, it's not on that website..  at the moment i don't need alcantara it would be nice to know where one can order some.. never mind..

Edited by dutchzcarguy

17 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

I looked at the website you gave us..  and asked myself... look at the hides there in this pic.... HOW BIG ARE THE EURO COWS???? 😂

IMG_1416.JPG

btw if i look for alcantara, it's not on that website..  at the moment i don't need alcantara it would be nice to know where one can order some.. never mind..

I always thought cows in American continent where bigger =D Regarding the alcantara, I believe if you send an email they will support you in your quest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news first, DAT307 is siiiiiick ! The car is finally back into its original color and this is beautiful ! Under carriage + interior + engine bay are done, clear coated as well, and today marks the start for reassembling the suspension/direction/brakes 😍

Photo 27-02-2021, 10 18 33 AM.jpgPhoto 27-02-2021, 10 17 08 AM.jpg

I also finished the dashboard assembly, and... Damn son, these red needles are popping, and my custom speedo/tachy faces are as expected ! Now just praying for the lighting to be following up.

Photo 28-02-2021, 2 56 02 PM.jpg

I noticed the Tachometer needle need to be readjusted slightly on the 0 and I inverted the Volt/Fuel Gauge housing (upside down)... 

Photo 28-02-2021, 1 56 39 PM.jpgPhoto 28-02-2021, 1 55 29 PM.jpg

In the meantime, the body panels are getting prepped. All weatherstrip will be installed to do a mokeup of the panels assembly and finalize the alignment to perfect the body lines.

Photo 28-02-2021, 12 38 50 PM.jpgPhoto 28-02-2021, 12 38 55 PM.jpgPhoto 28-02-2021, 12 38 58 PM.jpg

Photo 28-02-2021, 12 39 32 PM.jpgPhoto 28-02-2021, 12 39 18 PM.jpgPhoto 28-02-2021, 12 39 10 PM.jpg

Now onto the less good news...

When removing the oil pan for painting, we span the engine on the support and one of the header bolt fell off... I don't know for how long it has been broken for, but we had to remove the 13 others to get the thread cleared (luckily it came out easily so no need for insert). I ordered a new set of header/block bolts, obviously not available locally... I already have the gasket in the kit I purchased previously, but bolts might not arrive before the 17th, which is a bummer...

Photo 23-02-2021, 4 05 25 PM.jpg

Second bad one is that the Prothane bushing kit I got is, as well know for, not perfect... and the 4 (actually 4x2) bushing to be placed into the 2 supports for the rear diff are too small diameter, so there is a LOOOT of play. I am having some spacers made out of Nylon or Delrin for the time being and will see to get replacement from another brand, if necessary. As a relief, the rear diff. cover has been ceramic coated and looks fantastic !

Photo 28-02-2021, 2 11 00 PM.jpgPhoto 28-02-2021, 12 40 08 PM.jpg

Rear suspension were almost reassembled yesterday and the front are following closely. Also, the amount of spare parts and boxes is slowly reducing =D I received my 6-1 header from Motorsports/MSA, will have the black protective paint removed and a real thermal resistant paint applied, then goes the wrap.

Photo 28-02-2021, 12 39 46 PM.jpgPhoto 25-02-2021, 9 39 01 AM.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Working very quickly. Nice stuff!

On 2/25/2021 at 7:02 PM, wheee! said:

Amazing progress!

Thank you guys 🙏

I cannot lie it's extremely convenient to have a workshop and a team of pro to support on most of it, but I obviously enjoy very much getting my hands dirty whenever I can (also a matter of insurance with the garage). I am not as OG as many of you here, but it reminds me of my teenage years when swapping engines with couple of friends, on a 205 GTI (1.6L -> 1.9L -> 1.9L with turbo -> MI16 from 405 -> Turbo16 from 405), within a weekend to avoid the parents finding out... Good old days !

On the Z, I am mostly taking care of the project management for the tasks organization and planning, the procurement for all the parts to ensure the build is hitting as less down time as possible, and I obviously select the parts, colors, style and so on...

It started on the 3rd of October 2020 when we dismantled everything, let's see when we have the engine running smoothly...

Few more picture from yesterday: WE HAVE A LIFT OFF ! (rotisserie is gone)

Photo 01-03-2021, 4 33 37 PM.jpgPhoto 01-03-2021, 4 51 20 PM.jpgPhoto 01-03-2021, 4 51 19 PM (1).jpg

• Like 1