IGNORED

1976 280 Z from Ohio to Dubai

BAS_DXB

I love the fact that your restoring your dash on the 60th floor of an office tower,  the shell looks to be in great shape. Looking forward to the next set pics.

Would you mind posting where you found those LED rings for your gauges?

I sold my 77/280z to a dealer in Dubai last year, I think they still have it on the floor, https://www.tominiclassics.com/featcar/datsun-280z/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I love the fact that your restoring your dash on the 60th floor of an office tower,  the shell looks to be in great shape. Looking forward to the next set pics.

Would you mind posting where you found those LED rings for your gauges?

I sold my 77/280z to a dealer in Dubai last year, I think they still have it on the floor, https://www.tominiclassics.com/featcar/datsun-280z/

Thanks ! The air is a bit cooler up here, so might as well enjoy !

The shell was not too bad indeed, beside all the previous welding/patches.

I got the LED rings from amazon, links below:

60mm for the Water Temp and Oil Pressure: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W6ZXQOO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (can't fit it in the Volt/Fuel one, so replaced original bulbs with LED ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E8MYSOY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

110mm for Speedo and Tacho: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W6ZXROS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They catching the power from the original bulbs, either through the connector pins for the small gauges, or splicing directly on the cables for the bigger ones.

I have seen your car at Tomini, did they ship it from Canada to Dubai directly ?

Welcome to the group! 

I salute you for taking on such an extensive restoration on a 280Z. 

It is a bit disheartening that so much was paid for a vehicle, to hadve it shipped across the ocean only to discover such shoddy collision and rust repair work was performed on it.  Hopefully the seller was totally upfront with you on the true condition of the vehicle during the sales transaction.  That said, the car is now in good hands, and will be given a better life.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the rebirth 😊

Screenshot_2021-01-04 1976 Datsun 280Z.png

Edited by DatsunZGuy
  • Like 1

Very cool restoration of a sister car to mine! Love the attention to detail, and the custom touches. Yours started off in better condition than mine though!

I have the OneSix CAS as well in my 3.1 L stroker. Let me know if you have any questions, even thoughtTim Heilbloom at OneSix is awesome with tech support.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

Welcome to the group! 

I salute you for taking on such an extensive restoration on a 280Z. 

It is a bit disheartening that so much was paid for a vehicle, to hadve it shipped across the ocean only to discover such shoddy collision and rust repair work was performed on it.  Hopefully the seller was totally upfront with you on the true condition of the vehicle during the sales transaction.  That said, the car is now in good hands, and will be given a better life.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the rebirth 😊

Screenshot_2021-01-04 1976 Datsun 280Z.png

Found it ! The previous owner was cool and provided many pictures of the car as it was displayed on BaT. The body repair invoices from 1998/1999 were also provided but not so clear, and not done during his ownership and I guess he never stripped the car down to check what was done already. Anyway, I got lucky to not have much rust for a car staying 40+ years in Nebraska / Ohio, with matching number engine, all the original ID plates, lot of spare parts (extra gearbox, extra diff., 4 shocks, historic from 1998 onward, original airbox +1 extra etc...) and a cool story to tell !

I am still looking for the original owner from 1976 and already managed to get in touch with the one from 19998-2006, who kindly made a request to the DMV in Nebraska.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wheee! said:

Very cool restoration of a sister car to mine! Love the attention to detail, and the custom touches. Yours started off in better condition than mine though!

I have the OneSix CAS as well in my 3.1 L stroker. Let me know if you have any questions, even thought Tim Heilbloom at OneSix is awesome with tech support.

You got a great thread for your restoration, 135 pages will be inspiring and motivating to finish mine. I'll definitely reach out to you or him if I bump into issues, thank you !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Yes, it was trucked to the Port of Montreal then loaded on a cargo ship to Dubai,  any Idea what they are asking for it? I'm sure it will be twice what they paid me.

It used to be listed for USD 50k in May, but it's shown as Not For Sale at the moment, they might be waiting for the value to increase, or they are doing some work on it.

• Like 1