IGNORED

Zx 5 speed rebuild

Patcon

Well, it's difficult to say what year my transmission is at this point. The 5th gear part is off a '82 worn out trany, most of the rest of the innards are out of a '78(?) 4 speed, and the shafts (except the input) are out of my 70 something transmission that a PO installed in the early 80's. Not sure how it's going to work once I get it together... kind of sounds like that old Johnny Cash song.

Edited by Jeff Berk
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@EuroDat

Chas,

I have been unable to locate a replacement reverse idler. What steps do I need to take to make this more serviceable?

We also started tear down yesterday. I built a gear tree out of some material we had laying around

spacer.png20210410_162709.jpg20210410_165028.jpg

Edited by Patcon
  • Like 2

On 3/26/2021 at 12:58 PM, pogden said:

I just finished rebuilding my early FS5W71B. I encountered what I think is a discrepancy in the 79/80 FSMs, in the Manual Transmission Section. I meant to take a couple of pictures before putting the case back together so that I could post here to document the issue, but forgot. I'm hoping your transmission is in a state where you might be able to take the pictures I didn't. So, here's the thing:

I don't think I know which gear you are referring to. Is it in any of these pictures?

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

@EuroDat

Chas,

I have been unable to locate a replacement reverse idler. What steps do I need to take to make this more serviceable?

We also started tear down yesterday. I built a gear tree out of some material we had laying around

An alternative could be just replace the complete reverse gear setup. The kit for the 4 cylindrr FS5W71C uses a 21T reverse idler, so you will need the slider and cluster gear. Complete for US $79.

I'm almostcertain the splines on the cluster and the inner teeth on the slider are the same on the 71B and 71C, but just to be sure, count the the inner teeth on the slider and the splines on the cluster gear. 

https://cobratransmission.com/nissan-fs5w71c-4-cylinder-reverse-gear-kit-50042095-1

The other alternative is to have the teeth ground down and de-burred/rounded, but it is a lot of work and will cost more than buying another set with a slightly different ratio.

Screenshot_20210411-205328.jpg

Screenshot_20210411-205413.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, EuroDat said:

An alternative could be just replace the complete reverse gear setup. The kit for the 4 cylindrr FS5W71C uses a 21T reverse idler, so you will need the slider and cluster gear. Complete for US $79.

I'm almostcertain the splines on the cluster and the inner teeth on the slider are the same on the 71B and 71C, but just to be sure, count the the inner teeth on the slider and the splines on the cluster gear. 

https://cobratransmission.com/nissan-fs5w71c-4-cylinder-reverse-gear-kit-50042095-1

The other alternative is to have the teeth ground down and de-burred/rounded, but it is a lot of work and will cost more than buying another set with a slightly different ratio.

Screenshot_20210411-205328.jpg

Screenshot_20210411-205413.jpg

No joy!!

Small gear seems to match

Middle gear would probably work, but the slider we have has 37 external teeth versus 36 and 36 Internal teeth versus 30. It also looks like it has a different construction...

Edited by Patcon

On 4/11/2021 at 10:22 AM, Patcon said:

I don't think I know which gear you are referring to. Is it in any of these pictures?

Yes, the one below. This is the OD-Reverse Synchronizer Slider (in hand) and Hub (circled). The photo was taken from the rear of the transmission facing forward, and the the synchronizer hub is clearly oriented with the concentric groove aft, which is opposite of the diagram in the FSM. 

OD-Reverse_syncho_hub.png

Patcon_FS5W71B-2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pogden said:

Yes, the one below. This is the OD-Reverse Synchronizer Slider (in hand) and Hub (circled). The photo was taken from the rear of the transmission facing forward, and the the synchronizer hub is clearly oriented with the concentric groove aft, which is opposite of the diagram in the FSM. 

OD-Reverse_syncho_hub.png

I corrected that in my FSM and posted it in a thread here somewhere 3 or 4 years ago. The problem I had was the original document has a password.

I could not change it or add any comments. To get around that I printed it and scanned it in. The only problem with that is you loose quality of the whole document or increase file size considerable just to fix two diagrams (this one and another on the following page).

Thinking about it, I could make it a supplement document with just  those two pages. Then you can download the two MT documents and if you decide to print them, simply replace the pages.

6 hours ago, Patcon said:

No joy!!

Small gear seems to match

Middle gear would probably work, but the slider we have has 37 external teeth versus 36 and 36 Internal teeth versus 30. It also looks like it has a different construction...

That is unfortunate. Good you checked that before ordering the parts. I was hoping the slider would match, but that kit is for a C version and later versions seem to have "improvements" that look very much the same but not...

Can you post a couple of photos showing the chipped section of the idler gear? It's is good to check if they are just chips and not shattered. From what I remember it wasn't that bad so it should clean up ok.

31 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I think these are in order. Rotating clockwise

20210417_113647.jpg20210417_113649.jpg20210417_113656.jpg20210417_113701.jpg

I assume trying to MIG these back up won't work because they're hardened...

I wonder if you can TIG it with an appropriate feed rod. Might have to manage the heat as well, don’t let it cool off too fast. 

Shaping them after will be interesting, might be able to file it down slowly.

Hopefully we can see some lights on that Christmas gear tree you have.. maybe during the holiday season 😛