IGNORED

Starting Carb Conversion: Flat Tops to Paltechs

Dadsun

That old flat-top part should get you out of the woods for now. It really wants a bearing support closer to the end, but I think it should be OK for now.

So here's what I have. Question is... Will the pivoting mechanism mount to your firewall? Are the mounting holes in the same location(s)?
P1180174.JPG

P1180176.JPG

P1180179.JPG

Wow,.that's nice. And yes, I'm wondering about the support on the carb side with that longer arm. Here is a picture of the underside. Looks like the middle hole is flipped, but the two outer holes line up. 

PXL_20210104_033130370.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the carbs are on, no leaks, and it starts every time. Progress!

Now I need to tune them. I have a Uni-Syn tool that came with the car. I'm getting no air draw on the front carb, just the back. Is that normal?

I have a service manual and saw some old threads here on tuning/balancing, but if y'all have a go-to reference please pass along. 

PXL_20210113_215024637.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, I'm looking at the Quick and Dirty SU Tuning thread. For balancing it says: "2. Warm up car and remove all linkage connections so that the carb's throttle plates are resting on their set screws.
3. Adjust each set screw so that the suction felt when you put your knuckles against the throat of each carb and feel the air flowing between your fingers is the same on both carbs."

... Is the set screw the same as the throttle adjusting screw on each carb?

Also, my setup came with no screw in this place (next to zip tie in pic) that looks to be opposite the balance screw. The guy who refurbished them said no screw necessary there.

PXL_20210117_232300506~2.jpg

PXL_20210117_232308052.jpg

I think that missing screw is what adjust the throttle plates. As in your 2nd sentence, #13 on the diagram.

I always unhook that top plastic marble to release the linkage during adjusting. Closest to #8.

Screenshot_20210118-173456_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's the spring loaded screw you need. Probably easiest to get one at motorcycle shop. They're on bike carbs.

Screenshot_20210118-173018_Gallery.jpg

It's been awhile but the airflow sync I use to balance air flow I turned #10 screws on my '72 SUs.

That spring loaded screw you're missing keeps the linkage tight and snug for butterfly respose. It's not really used to balance them but keeps them responsive to your foot on the pedal. 

I would watch a few YouTube videos. There's some pretty good ones now. Good luck.

5a2593cd6fa41_HitachiSUdiagram.gif.64cfebc979f8b13709fa6a5334614cba.gif

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1