IGNORED

cylinder head bolts retorque

kully 560

heu siteunseen , I read in the z car guide .com that after head install the head need to be retorqued 600-1000 miles ans every 12,000 miles for all s30 cars? I rebuilt my motor back in the late 90s and never check the head bolts after ,I did not think I had to but this guide says different!! just checking with everybody what the deal is. thanks

After so many years and miles it's dangerous to mess with the head bolts.  Some are probably rusty and ready to break.

On that topic, has anyone considered the clamping force of a head bolt that's half rusted through?  Might be a cause of blown head gaskets on old engines. Who knows.

• Like 1

the only thing in my favor after the rebuild in the late 90s that I have not put 3000 miles on the motor . it comes out in nice weather 1-2 times a month for a 30-40 mile drive only. It is  also keep it in a heated garage .so I guess can throw a torque wrench on it and see where it is, if it does not move at 60lbs I will leave it alone. I guess on an old motor and left out side in the weather I would think twice about ,I agree with you on that. I did not know nissan recommends a cylinder head bolt torque after a valve adjustment. this could be a can of worms as I don't think anybody does it .

Edited by kully 560
adding
  • Like 1