IGNORED

Something horrible just happened - an ad autoplayed "music" on the CZCC site

Zed Head

I just had the horrible experience of terrible music coming from my computer speakers for no apparent reason.  I had to shut open tabs until the awful sound stopped.  It stopped when I shut the CZCC tab.

@Mike are you aware?  I've noticed that the ads autoplay little video scripts, which is annoying.  But the sound is too much.

Edited by Zed Head

It could be worse. I was looking at this site on Sunday with my phone, and one of the ads had a browser hijack. Fortunately deleting the data and cookies ended the problem, but it was still a PITA.

Have you heard of anybody else getting a browser hijack from the ads, @Mike?

Just had another horrible noise episode, definitely from this site.  I saw AK260"s comment and went to the beginning of the 31K Z thread and started re-reading.  I clicked open Page 2 and about ten seconds later "too important to miss, tonight at 6..." blasted through the speakers.  I should have muted and tried to figure out which ad was causing it, the little one that sits on top of everything at the bottom of the page so you can't read the words below, or the big one at the top of the page.  Instead I just closed the tab and the noise stopped.

So @Mike you said that you would never have autoplay ads on the site but somehow they have slipped through.  Those marketing guys are persistent and clever.  Probably better at internet stuff than the Russians.

I'll try to figure out which visuals match the words if/when it happens again.  I wonder if it's possible to have autoplay audio with no visual associated.

15 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Those marketing guys are persistent and clever. 

They think they are..

Years ago i was looking youtube on my big screen and high end stereo..  A Braun commercial cept comming through..  Then it is simple, i have made a promise, NEVER EVER BUY SOMETHING FROM BRAUN!!  If we all do that, when a commercial is so damn interfering, there comes a time it will stop.. 😊

Another brand that came very close was Bosch..  so next time a Makita?  hahaha..

Actually it looks like the ad that autoplays is a video ad, but it's one of those that plants itself in the middle of a person's post.  This one just played an ad for The Voice.  @Mike Only posting because you said that autoplay is not allowed.  If things have changed I'll stop compalining.

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

I finally caught one in the act.  I don't think I rolled my cursor over it it just started autoplaying.  It was one of those ads that pops up in the middle of a paragraph.  It started playing when I was way down at the bottom of the thread but I scrolled up to the top until I saw it.  I have no interest in Edward Jones products at all.

image.png