1975 280z 2+2 will not start - Page 8 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1975 280z 2+2 will not start

Featured Replies

  • Author

Since I have no way of knowing if my set car's setup is normal or not.

I only have 1 inline fuel filter and it is under the hood.

It seems strange not to have one at the fuel tank before the pump.

1 hour ago, iscnetwork said:

Since I have no way of knowing if my set car's setup is normal or not.

I only have 1 inline fuel filter and it is under the hood.

It seems strange not to have one at the fuel tank before the pump.

Normal.

  • Author

Someone at Nissan messed us the transition from 260 to 280 apparently.

 

Thanks, since I have to re-engineer I think I will add one at the tank.

I had to go to 3 places to find 1/2 fuel hose [NAPA] for anyone else later in this position who reads this.

The 260Z was carbs, the 280Z is EFI.

The hoses are metric.  Make sure you get high pressure EFI hose for anything after the pump.

Did you try tapping on the pump while it had power?  Sometimes they get stuck and you can break them free.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

If you going to replace the  pump be advised that the aftermarkets don't seem to last . The last one I bought was $95,  lasted  7 months, and was only used for about 20 starts.  The first after market pump only lasted one year.

The OEM pump may be costly but it lasts.  Also, the after markets don't fit like the OEM and you have to make several modifications. Yes, 1/2 inch hose from tank to pump , but make sure you use FI hose out of the pump to the fuel damper like Zed  said.

 

In addition, FI rated hose clamps on the high pressure side.   No cheap parts store gear clamps.

Oem Efi Clamp.JPG

 

  • Author

All of that is bad news.  What does an OEM pump cost?   The one of ebay was $300. 

I thought I had it made... but now I may have been a victim of the "evil" hose clamp vs. I thought a cracked hose.

I got my Z sort of started, but blew gasoline all over the garage.   I had to abandon ship.

 

 

Congratulations.

If it still has the old braided hoses you should change them all, especially the ones over the engine.  They age and crack and split and squirt fuel.  It's easy to do,the injector hoses actually just press on.  Procedure described in the FSM.

I had really good luck with the Airtex E8312 pump.  No problems, about 30,000 miles, many years.  Bought it at OReilly Auto.

https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8312-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000DT7Y7K

 

 

 

I get my fuel clamps from the JY, seems better quality than the stuff sold at local autozone. Its a good idea to check under the hood a lot. I always check when getting gas. leave it running pop the hood look for leaks. turn off, fill up. leave the hood popped while filling, helps with controlling heat soak on hot days.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.