IGNORED

1977 - 280z fuel octane recommendation

240zadmire

Greeting

forum members recommend fuel for our car is 87 octane as fuel today is much more advanced than it was designed years back.  User manual stated otherwise that at least 91 octane.

what do you guy use on stock engine?

much appreciated

23D60741-ED64-46A3-8598-5E79C9E93C94.png

Edited by 240zadmire

17 minutes ago, 240zadmire said:

@siteunseen

thanks for the prompt responded.   So you have other Z(s) you're driving?  What's the reason for not driving the Z more regularly, if I may ask?

They are now part of my retirement plan. LOL

401K ? 240Z and a 280Z for me. I had another 240 but stupidly sold it so I could park my daily driver back in my garage. These things are money in the bank now. Like a stock sort of, bought low and will sale high. Yes! very high. ROFL

keep hearing oil companies will stop pumping crude oil "very" soon.  and all cars on street will be electrical in 202x.  Gas stations will be converted into charging stations....

might want to enjoy your rides now before all the gas is gone.  Heard tragic stories about folks going into retirement and drop dead months, or few years later.  All your savings will be a great charity to somebody (hopefully your kids) so enjoy while your legs still work, and still feel the urges!

As for me, I'll drive my Z every chance I will get.  That's the plan anyway.  Haven't  got a chance to take her to pre-test for smog yet.  Have young kids, so takes priorities!

Not that I ill-wish you or anything like that.  Please don't take this as an insult.

regards

Edited by 240zadmire

1 hour ago, 240zadmire said:

keep hearing oil companies will stop pumping crude oil "very" soon. 

I don't think so.   Number 1 ,  it would destroy the 22 trillion dollar US economy.   Number 2 ,  I think the trucking, farm, and aerospace industries would not like it.   Number 3 ,  crude oil is refined for much more than fuel,  plastics etc.   Take with a grain of salt what you read or see on those radical left new green deal websites.

As far as the gas goes for your 280,  run quality non-ethanol if you can.   I replaced a $300 Nissan fuel pump inn a friends 280 last year that was leaking due to sitting with ethanol fuel.     I am lucky,  the Phillips 66 near me has non-ethanol in mid and premium grades.       My .02 cents  (dollars actually)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I don't think so.   Number 1 ,  it would destroy the 22 trillion dollar US economy.   Number 2 ,  I think the trucking, farm, and aerospace industries would not like it.   Number 3 ,  crude oil is refined for much more than fuel,  plastics etc.   Take with a grain of salt what you read or see on those radical left new green deal websites.
As far as the gas goes for your 280,  run quality non-ethanol if you can.   I replaced a $300 Nissan fuel pump inn a friends 280 last year that was leaking due to sitting with ethanol fuel.     I am lucky,  the Phillips 66 near me has non-ethanol in mid and premium grades.       My .02 cents  (dollars actually)

Moron Biden just said in last nights debate that he will eliminate fossil fuels if he is president. These people really need to have everything stripped away from them so they feel some pain. I know it will. It happened but the results will be CA prices for gas all across the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have run 89 octane non ethanol from Wawa for years now. No pinging, no other issues to report. there is a place that sells higher octane (93) non ethanol (harris oil) that I have run just to see if there is an diff (none). They also sell race fuel 110 and 112, but that is leaded I think, use it for my dirt bike, Very expensive. I bought it mainly since I wanted something that I could buy and have sit for months, IIRC race fuel does not go bad for quite a long time if stored correctly.

Do you really think it’s possible to have no gas for cars even in 30 years. No it’s impossible, we can do things such as require all passenger cars being built by x year to be electric. Think about how many years that would take to get all the remaining cars off the road that are using gas.
Trying to reduce fossils fuel does not make someone a moron look around the change is coming wether you like it or not even super cars are going electric or hybrid sure maybe it’s for other benefits they realized from electric.
And that’s just passenger cars, then there are boats, planes, machinery etc that need fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the market can decide on the future if politics don't get too involved. I see lots of issues with electric cars, besides how to make and distribute the power. batteries would need to be recycled to the extreme to avoid massive waste. Can the batteries be produced in volume (is there enough raw material).

Sensible people know what works for them and can choose with their wallets. Mandating things assumes people are dumb and cant decide for themselves. Build a better mouse trap and it will sell.

Personally I would not count on much in the way of investments, too hard to predict, try to be a diy person, if you can do more you need less.

Even the old stand by of land is risky due to the politics of taxation. You cant get more stable than land (well unless you live on top of a volcano or fault line, like much of the west).

Personally I would love to see electric cars powered by a APU adapted to burn any kind of fuel, that would be nice.  A turbine sounding car that has great acceleration.

for those that see personal transport as the cause of the destruction of the world, that's easy, drive less. the problem with predictions is the unknown changes can be completely out of left field.

when I was young we never considered "social media" and a driving influence since it was not a part of our everyday lives and at best was maybe touch on in books that were only read by a few.

we thought flying cars and travel to the moon would be in our personal daily lives, did not happen, not even close.

I drive a 20 yr old chevy suburban, am I a polluter that should be banished for not being green? well given that I work from home (thankyou unforeseen in the past internet) I rarely drive any distance in it, and given that its old means no new cars and associated carbon emissions to make them) I would say I am greener than most that adhere to the religion of green. Its being sensical and what we used to call thrifty. Not everyone can work from home, but many can. Add to that a culture of diy and you can have huge planet saving reduction in carbon (given  that is real) by people.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I don't know about the advancements of gasoline, but the different between the 91 octane rating in the owner's manual and the forum's recommendation of 87 is the different ways of measuring octane rating. The owner's manual shows 91 octane using RON method, which is the equivalent of about 87 octane using (R+M)/2 method. Most pumps today in the US use the latter; look for somewhere on the pump and it'll show (R+M)/2.

This wiki is particularly helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Research_Octane_Number_(RON)