IGNORED

Piston ID

ToolBoy

Hello to all. . .  I just received an L24 engine a few days ago that I was intending to use for backup parts but I'm thinking it might be a better engine than the L26 that's currently still in my series 1 car. L26 was parked with the fluids in for about 18 years and I expect trouble when I get in there so I bought the L24 cheap. I tore the new L24 down yesterday and the cylinder walls look perfect as does the crank and pistons. Shop will need to confirm. Lots of carbon crap caked on everything and an inch of sludge in the pan.  I'm  wondering if anyone in the community that's more experienced than I (which is everyone) can tell me about these pistons. Previous owner raced Z's in the midwest 15 years ago and he's now getting rid of some stuff. He couldn't say much for sure about this engine so I took my chances and the price was right. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Piston01.jpg

Piston02.jpg

Might just be OEM Datsun pistons.  Not uncommon for old cylinder walls to show little wear.  Apparently the blocks are made from pretty tough metal.

Are there any markings on the bottom of the piston tops?

https://maseraticompound.com/products/datsun-240z-pistons-rods-bearings-and-rings

http://datnissparts.com/x-1973-240z-l24-oe-oversize-cast-pistons-1-0mm-040-84-0mm-12010-h2716-set-of-6-also-fits-l26-l16/

On 8/30/2020 at 4:57 AM, Zed Head said:

Might just be OEM Datsun pistons.

I've got a new set of original nissan oversize pistons still in stock and i don't recall they have those indents for the valves.. (i think pics of them are on page1-2 of my 280zx slick roof 1979 restauration topic)

Also the "Ampco"  tells me it's not stock?

On 8/30/2020 at 6:41 AM, ToolBoy said:

One side says AMP00 and the other has a symbol followed by 221

AMP00  is Ampco  and the symbol is the NISSAN sign!  ampco made these pistons for nissan i assume..  I'm almost sure i never seen pistons for z cars with the indents in the piston! So NOT OEM.

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Also the "Ampco"  tells me it's not stock?

2 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

AMP00  is Ampco  and the symbol is the NISSAN sign!  ampco made these pistons for nissan i assume..  I'm almost sure i never seen pistons for z cars with the indents in the piston! So NOT OEM.

AMPCO was/is a majority Nissan-owned affiliate company, making parts for use on Nissan vehicles.

Whilst the H2716 'Pop-up' pistons were not OEM on any S30-series Z, they were supplied by Nissan as a service replacement part on Nissan L-series engines. They are not 'aftermarket' or custom.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ToolBoy said:

Thanks Guys,    I've read about a valve swap to take advantage of the slightly larger valves from the more recent Z cars. Could the indent be to accommodate  the bigger valve? Just a wild guess. . . 

Where's the head?  Is it a stock camshaft?  Regrind, aftermarket?  Has it had work done?

IDK. . . I'm starting to come up with a plan. Just got it apart. Looks stock and unmodified but I've been wrong before. Head is E88 and the valves are 42mm and 33mm. Previous owner raced SCCA years ago and wasn't sure what had been done to this engine. Pistons made me wonder if any other work had been done. I think I'm gonna go with a  ZStory race sport exhaust system as original exhaust fell apart in my hands and am having ZTherapy do their thing on the carbs. I've got a 5 speed and questionable L-26 still in the car.  I ordered a spring compressor and will have valves out in next couple days. Trying to get a recommendation on a knowledgable machine shop in my area (West L.A.). It's gonna be a daily driver and I've no interest in the the track but I'm not adverse to having it be really quick. Will probably do some head work and welcome suggestions as I don't know what the hell I'm doing.    Andy

Head01.jpg

Head02.jpg

Head03.jpg

Head04.jpg

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I have not seen valve reliefs in stock L24 pistons so those may be for high valve lift applications. (i.e. from NISMO catalogue part)

:facepalm:

Sometimes it's like people just don't want to understand what they are looking at.

They are H2716 'Pop-Up' pistons, designed to 'pop up' above the block surface and protrude into a large, recessed combustion chamber in an effort to mitigate the effects of other (non ideal) circumstances. They have valve relief cut-outs because they - by their very nature - impinge on valve stroke territory at certain parts of the 4-stroke cycle.

They were a Nissan service part. Nothing to do with high performance per se, although they could be used in a clever way to utilise certain aspects of their design for a non-stock build. Which is what I would guess we are looking at here...