IGNORED

Broken handbrake handle glue?

chaseincats

You can get get heat shrink tubing in pretty big sizes.  Some JB Weld, a piece of heat shrink, and it might be serviceable.  I fixed a scissor handle that way and it worked well.

That kind of break is really hard to fix with adhesive only though.  Probably never look the same.

It's ABS plastic and black ABS cement would have been useful if you hadn't tried superglue first (now that there's superglue on the surfaces the ABS cement would be useless(ABS cement actually creates a weld joint by dissolving the mating surfaces and fusing them together)). But ABS cement wouldn't hold a "butt joint" like that together permanently (unless it had absolutely NO strain ever). It would need a sleeve over the affected area to make a more permanent repair. I'd have to agree with the above mentioned solution(s) if you're not going to completely replace the handle assembly... 

This should also be a cautionary tale for the rest of us not to put undue pressure on the end of the handle near the release button. And to protect that old plastic from the ravages of time, heat, and sun.

If/When that happens to mine, I'll find or craft a slim ABS tube/sleeve an inch or so long that can be glued over the seam of the break. I've been thinking about covering mine with black heat shrink for some time - as it's starting to show some degradation (and, Arizona). I'm definitely doing that asap after seeing this.

My handle crumbled in my hand as I was installing it after repairing the mechanism.  I looked high and low and could not find just the plastic handle.  For me buying an entire original mechanism did not seem wise as there is no way to judge how long it would last.  ABS appears to have a useful life, but I fear we are getting to the point where we are testing the limit.  I found the one in the image below, but I forget where I got it.  The brand is NRG.  I like the way it looks but if you are a purist it will not do.

NRG brake handle.jpg

25 minutes ago, qz16 said:

My handle crumbled in my hand as I was installing it after repairing the mechanism.  I looked high and low and could not find just the plastic handle.  For me buying an entire original mechanism did not seem wise as there is no way to judge how long it would last.  ABS appears to have a useful life, but I fear we are getting to the point where we are testing the limit.  I found the one in the image below, but I forget where I got it.  The brand is NRG.  I like the way it looks but if you are a purist it will not do.

NRG brake handle.jpg

Was this tough to install?

I'm going to try JB weld first (https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/j-b-weld-4009/chemicals---fluids-16461/glues--adhesives---sealants-19861/specialty-adhesives-17689/568b785d32e5/j-b-weld-20-gram-superweld/33120/6029295/) but if JB doesn't work, I'd like to try that.

Edited by chaseincats

40 minutes ago, qz16 said:

NRG brake handle.jpg

Not at all.  You will want to clean up the metal handle to your satisfaction.  Having done that, It merely slides over the original metal and you tighten a set screw (which you can actually see in the picture, at the base of the handle - mid-image).

Just now, qz16 said:

Not at all.  You will want to clean up the metal handle to your satisfaction.  Having done that, It merely slides over the original metal and you tighten a set screw (which you can actually see in the picture, at the base of the handle - mid-image).

How did you remove the rest of the plastic handle grip?  It seems to be glued on there.