IGNORED

1978 280Z aluminum door sills

One Way

I know there are new ones available but being budget minded, I would like to refurbish the ones that came with the car originally.  Both are in decent shape after a good cleaning with some Scotchbrite and small brush.  Just the expected slight pitting in a few spots but I would like to improve their looks.  Can they be painted?  Not sure about buffing them out to get some of the shine back.  Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

6 hours ago, dmorales-bello said:

I buffed mine a couple of years ago and that took out all minor surface oxidation and stains. Some small dents can be hammered out but take into account that the material is pretty thin.

Dr Dave did you use a bench mount buffer with the paste? Thank you.

8 In. Bench Grinder/Buffer 94327 alternate photo #1

Thanks for the responses.  The buffing I have done on the inside of the sills just doesn't seem to do much.  Thought I would try on the part that will not be visible before possibly doing damage on the outside.  A soaking in Purple Power, some different small hand brushes, wet sanding a bit, really made a great improvement but I would like to bring them up a notch or two in appearance.  On a scale of 1-10 they started off about a 3, now probably a 5-6 after the cleaning.  No intentions of ever getting this resurrection project to a 10 but thought it might be nice to get these originals up a few more points.  I may spend a bit more buffing time tomorrow on my day off before trying some self etch primer, metallic aluminum Fusion spray paint, and maybe a clear coat.  Open for any suggestions.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC.

Dr Dave did you use a bench mount buffer with the paste? Thank you.
image_2929.jpg&key=d84a35585485eddedafd5abcf1dd991dd5188c3c2066b70bc6cbd9995ec2f05b
Yes, a buffing wheel and aluminum polish paste. It was a pretty dirty job with paste flying everywhere. Definitely wear eye protection and a mask because you'll be covered in that stuff. The final finish is satin, not chrome. I'm considering laying a couple of coats of gloss clear over them for a nicer shine and protection.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don’t forget good old powder coating. Lots of shiny, chrome, aluminum and silver options out there. What I like best is the toughness of the coating to resist the inevitable foot and boot rubbing abuse these things take.

Thanks for all the info and link to the previous discussions.  I know the door sills are not a critical part but I have been trying to blend in some of the more fun detailing projects like door sills, door handles, misc small parts, etc as a diversion from the much tougher and demanding projects like rear axles, suspension, did I mention rust removal, and more rust removal on this resurrection project.  The diversity of projects makes the process more enjoyable for me.  Thanks again. John.

• Like 1