IGNORED

Weakness Revealed in the GMB and Spectra Mechanic Fuel pumps

It may very well be that my one example of the cap on 90 degrees out is a total one-off anomaly and the real culprit is the check valves as I initially expected. More evidence to gather for sure. 

Keep them cards and letters coming.

Ah the wonders of Rock Auto. My three GMB fuel pumps came in today already. (ordered Monday, Fed Ex cheap delivery)

I am sad to report that the top caps on all three of these were assembled correctly. 

So what can we learn from this.

Is it only Spectra pumps that have these issues?

Was the one incorrectly assembled Spectra I encountered a total one off?

I sent the customer home this morning with his Spectra working flawlessly and instructions on how to pop the fuse back in the new electric pump circuit when (and if) it fails. 

It seems we are back to check valve shaming for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread! Especially as my Aussie (spectra looking) pump started to play up at the weekend and intermittently pumped well then dry filter time. It’s been on the car for under 4k miles!!!

Fortunately I had the 43 year old original pump and a small socket set in the spare wheel well so I swapped it out on the side of the road. Then I proceeded to carry on with my 3 hour round trip journey and even terrorised a Mustang having a go and not thinking my car was a fair bit quicker ;). Just love that modified L28! And in all of this the old pump didn’t miss a beat!! I only replaced it previously so that the engine bay looked new/ tidy

When I put the L28 in. Waste of money by the looks of it.

I will take it apart at some point and upload photos.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would see if the original check valves could be reused, so the first one is an old used valve, middle four are all the bits when taken apart and the last one is one cleaned up, disc flipped around for a new surface and seat buffed up. IMGP2156.jpg

• Like 2