IGNORED

Value of a Set of 4 NOS Z Hubcaps?

I have the opportunity to purchase a set of 4 NOS  Z hubcaps.  We all know that the D hubcaps have become very rare and expensive. Also as you know, there were hundreds of thousands of sets of Z hubcaps manufactured that are quite common and came stock on the '72 and '73 240Zs, '74 260Zs and the '75 280Zs.  However, NOS Z hubcaps in perfect condition are also pretty rare.  Any idea what a set of 4 is worth?  Has there been any recent sales of NOS  Z hubcaps on eBay?  Just trying to get an idea of the value. Thanks in advance. 

Steve

IMG_4160.JPG

Resized_IMG_04561001.jpg

Selling here for almost $1800

https://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/wheel-nissan-datsun-fairlady-z-240z-260z-280z-280zx/products/wheel-hub-cap-set-for-1971-76-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-nos?variant=786396845

Personally, hubcaps like you have shown in the pic I would say $1200-1400, if not more.  Nice ones are getting very hard to find.  Re-chromed ones usually to not turn out real well from what I have seen.

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

Selling here for almost $1800

https://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/wheel-nissan-datsun-fairlady-z-240z-260z-280z-280zx/products/wheel-hub-cap-set-for-1971-76-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z-nos?variant=786396845

Personally, hubcaps like you have shown in the pic I would say $1200-1400, if not more.  Nice ones are getting very hard to find.  Re-chromed ones usually to not turn out real well from what I have seen.

Thank you, Motorman7!  That's good to know.  jdm-car-parts.com almost always inflates their prices by quite a bit, so you are probably right on with the $1,200.00 to $1,400.00 estimate.  I've heard the same thing about re-chroming the Z hubcaps, they don't come out very well after re-chroming.  However, I had a set of D hubcaps re-chromed and they came out looking beautiful! 

It's funny how JDM Car Parts show that the Z hubcaps were for the '71 thru '76 Z-cars, which isn't correct per Zhome.com, as '70 and '71 240Zs came stock with the D hubcaps and the Z hubcaps only came stock on the '72 thru '75 Z-cars.  They need to get their facts straight. 

@lonetreesteve - those look sweet.

The 1973 240z I just bought came with some 280z rims. I asked the original owner if he still had the original rims and hubcaps. He found the rims but only 3 hubcaps. See pic. I don't have them in hand yet, but they look all black?

Hoping I can pick up a 4th hubcap off eBay. 

92139.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, cgsheen1 said:

So I should probably sell the original steelies with the original tires and the original Z hubcaps from Bob's '75 "museum car" completely separately from the car itself. Oh, and the original spare...

That be funny as hell to see. A car in a museum on jack stands. Do it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadsun said:

@lonetreesteve - those look sweet.

The 1973 240z I just bought came with some 280z rims. I asked the original owner if he still had the original rims and hubcaps. He found the rims but only 3 hubcaps. See pic. I don't have them in hand yet, but they look all black?

Hoping I can pick up a 4th hubcap off eBay

Dadsun,

Thanks for the compliments on the new Z hubcaps. I sent the cashier's check to the seller and hope to see them in about a week. I'll post the full set once on this thread once they arrive.

As for your Z hubcaps, it looks like the original Z hubcaps were sprayed with black paint. The '72 through '75 Z-Cars all had the same Z hubcaps. On the Z hubcaps, the front sides hold up much better than the '70 -'71 D hubcaps; however, they rust just as bad on the backsides.   

So, I now have the original rims in hand, and 3 of the hubcaps. One is missing the middle Z piece. Here is a pic. They don't look spray painted, but they are monotone grey. They were in this box, picture#2, so perhaps they are not the originals after all?

IMG_20200511_105746.jpg

IMG_20200511_110822.jpg