IGNORED

Outer Tie Rod Ends

BTW. . . Factory manual calls it "Compression rod" and Haynes calls it "Radius Rod" (at least the ones I have).

Also what's called "transverse link" in FSM is "track control arm" in Haynes. Go figure. 

• 1 month later...

Very amateur question... how much grease should I put on the rack arms (that the boots cover)?  I have a 3 oz super lube.  I have a habit of always putting on more of anything, so maybe half the tube on each side?  Sorry, I worry too much about doing all the work, reassembling then realizing I should have coated them more.  

On a separate note, waiting for my grease gun for everything else. ?  Do I assume the new tie rod ends, ball joints are already greased?

41 minutes ago, Bill Scott said:

Very amateur question... how much grease should I put on the rack arms (that the boots cover)?  I have a 3 oz super lube.  I have a habit of always putting on more of anything, so maybe half the tube on each side?  Sorry, I worry too much about doing all the work, reassembling then realizing I should have coated them more.  

On a separate note, waiting for my grease gun for everything else. ?  Do I assume the new tie rod ends, ball joints are already greased?

I've looked for a few minutes and found nothing definitive so I got bored. You might find something in these threads?

https://www.google.com/search?q=greasing+240z+steering+rack+site:www.classiczcars.com&source=lmns&bih=606&biw=1280&rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjM1-uVpIfqAhWbG98KHUKeDQMQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

Thanks! sorry for the delayed response.

siteunseen, I've gone thru all the posts and seem to see grease and gear oil used.  But specifically:

multipurpose NLGI No. 0 grease - is this what goes into the pinion housing via nipple and/or on the rack bar itself under the boots? using your finger?  And this should go to grease the tie rods, etc?  

Another thread said   API GL4 gear oil? "Arne...THe inner and outer tie rod ends should be greased.  But if the lube is low inside the rack and pinion tuber itself (a rare problem), GL4 gear oil should be added"

Still unclear.  Sorry again for the basic Q's

Hey Bill, I've included a page from factory manual that gives rack lube instructions. (another set to consider). It seems to state that No. 2 gets used on the rack and pinion gears and the only place they specify No. 0 is in the little gravity feed reservoir screwed to the top of the housing. Zerk fitting is temporarily borrowed from pinion housing to grease tie rod inners thru the hole on the rack shaft and then reinstalled on housing. I have always wondered why the diffo grease here and I was guessing it might flow easier down into the housing when needed??  After researching I'm using same grease that was used on my wheel bearings as shown. 50 years ago the manual asked for a lithium based No2 Grease and this red stuff is lithium based. If anybody wants to chime in and give me a thumbs up or down I welcome the input. Good Luck!! 

Steering01.jpg

Grease01.jpg