IGNORED

Outer Tie Rod Ends

Hi all!

I'm starting more involved rebuilding on my March 72 240 and currently working on the suspension.  I ordered both outer tie rods from Z Car Source and they sent me these.  They are different mfgs, Moog is right and not sure of other.  

The left has a shorter bolt, and the right seems like a larger diameter(may just be the boot).  After reading, it seems like I should just be order two rights?  They thread on correctly for each side, but I'm concerned about two different ones, esp the left with a shorted bolt.

Any suggestions?

Appreciate the help!

Bill

https://zcarsource.com/outer-tie-rod-end-right-240z-260z-280z-70-78-new

https://zcarsource.com/outer-tie-rod-end-left-240z-260z-280z-70-78-new

OTR_right2.jpg

OTR_right1.jpg

OTR_left2.jpg

OTR_left1.jpg

Edited by Bill Scott
update left right

Personally I would keep them the same. Moog.

I ordered mine from  https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/moog-replacement-tie-rod-ends/make/nissan/model/240z/part-type/tie-rod-ends?fr=part-type

You get both Moog and less expensive. You don't always have to buy from the Z parts Stores ?. IMO.

IIRC the two right side issue is when you replace the inners ball joints.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Terrapin !  

I was always thinking that it was better to order from z parts stores because I would be sure I got the right part.  Prob felt less confident that general parts stores had the OE, but I'm now realizing that's not always the case.

When I first got my car I worked at a small chain parts store. I asked for TRE's and ball joints, wheel seals and bearings. They pulled together 5 different brands of mismatch. I said NO, all the same Moog and Timken. "we'll have to order them" Fine I says. Took one extra day. I did the same thing with the U Joints for drive line and half shafts, bought local.

Certain things you have to go through the Z stores and I am glad they are there for specialty items. But also check with Nissan if you have the part numbers. They still offer a lot of parts I would not have expected. I just ordered all the hatch latches and dovetails and guide bumpers, door sash seals front and rear all Nissan, some special bolts too. Oh and free shipping too (at least during Covid within 100 miles) Normally I just have them ship to store and go pick them up. (also free) 

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/

Feel free to inquire about your car if you have questions. Someone here can usually always help out. 

I've done a lot of work on my '72 in the past few years. I have tons of Nissan p/n in my build file if you need any. Another way for me was to go to http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978 find the p/n and call my local dealership parts department and tell them the part number. They can look it up and see if it's available. Like Terrapin Z says I was surprised at the parts still available from Nissan for our cars.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the single space between sentences they say use now. Old habit, but it never made sense to me anyway. :wacko:

Additional tie rod question fer y'all. Doing tie rod inners and outers on Jan 71 series one car. What I'm replacing has an internal spring that drives a cup that tensions the ball of the inner. Do I include that spring with the new inner that has no loose cup required? also do I turn the new inner in till it bottoms out? I am also assuming I will reuse the stop and the lock nut from the earlier iteration. Thanks ahead-a-time. . .  Andy

Ordered the outers from Summit, waiting for the package!  Thanks all.

On a separate question... when looking more closely at the sway bar bushings, the brackets seem too small for what I got (many years ago, bought the energy suspension bushing set).  The bushing is 18mm and fits the sway bar perfectly, but if I put that bushing on the original brackets, the bracket doesnt fit flush to the chassis.  am I wrong to just tighten them until they just squeeze the bushing tighter?  Not sure if that would just bend the bracket and not squeeze the bushing.  The bushings are poly, so I dont think they'll give that much.  Or should I buy new brackets?  

swaybar.jpg

I have to apologize, just waking up and getting some coffee flowing but I realize the plates will also raise the bushing.  Anyway, I say just tighten them down.  That front sway bar is a real booger bear to put on by yourself.  I used a jack to hold one side up while bolting the other side.

73 DATSUN 240Z FRONT SWAY BAR BRACKET SPACERS WASHER PLATES  ""OEM PARTS"""

Edited by siteunseen