IGNORED

Snarky comments to people not wearing masks - wrong?

Zed Head

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yes, verbal comments about this are wrong and there's no need to shame people.  It's passive aggressiveness...the worst kind of bullying. 

The way I do it is aggressive aggressiveness.  The first goal is to see if they really are ignorant of what's going on.  Who knows, maybe they are.  The guy I talked to in the store might not have seen the recent CDC guidance.  My comment hopefully caused him to go home and get up to date.  For his sake and for his eight year old son's sake.  The second goal is to let them know that the people around them know that they are being socially irresponsible.  Pretending to be ignorant isn't working, I see you.  It's called being involved in your community.

Certainly, if you're afraid of getting punched in the face you should avoid doing it.  But, if you want to take the risk, for your fellow citizens, I encourage it.

I don't think that anyone should get a free pass because they know that people will be afraid to make a scene.  We're not talking about loud music or obnoxious clothes.  We're talking about spreading a deadly disease.

Edited by Zed Head

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The way I do it is aggressive aggressiveness.  The first goal is to see if they really are ignorant of what's going on.  Who knows, maybe they are.  The guy I talked to in the store might not have seen the recent CDC guidance.  My comment hopefully caused him to go home and get up to date.  For his sake and for his eight year old son's sake.  The second goal is to let them know that the people around them know that they are being socially irresponsible.  Pretending to be ignorant isn't working, I see you.  It's called being involved in your community.

Certainly, if you're afraid of getting punched in the face you should avoid doing it.  But, if you want to take the risk, for your fellow citizens, I encourage it.

I don't think that anyone should get a free pass because they know that people will be afraid to make a scene.  We're not talking about loud music or obnoxious clothes.  We're talking about spreading a deadly disease.

Oh, that's different than your title.  Sounds like you're trying to help people rather than making snarky comments.  It's going to be a big job educating everyone.  I'd say there are about 50% wearing masks here in the Seattle area.  

I have lost the urge to do it anymore anyway.  There's just too many people and you can see that they know better.  Now we also are probably about 50/50 where I am.  So, the people that don't wear a mask just don't care.  Not much you can do about those people.

One of the big disappointments for me though is that I see a lot of people that would have been interesting before.  But now that you can see more of what's inside them, they're not the same.

I told a cashier at the grocery store that women with the masks were actually more attractive than the ones without.  She was wearing a mask, I wasn't being snarky, I was paying a compliment,  Although it would be a pretty good snarky comment...

beside social distancing can we try car distancing, WAY too much tail gating going on. and one more how about smart phone distancing, like away from you while driving..

I went out for supplies today, so many stupid driving, even with less cars on the road they tailgate like crazy and are all over the road while doing what I call the head bobble, look down, look up, look down, look up all the time weaving in the lane...

I wonder how many annual traffic fatalities are a result of smart phone(distracted driving) use and tail gating.

I was out driving a few months ago to the motorcycle off road park in the suburban, 2 lane road, guy is passing coming head on at me, ignoring the double yellow line, I had my lights on, guess he was in a hurry (everyone drives at least 10 mph over the posted limit, guess that is not enough for some) I got real lucky as a bridge was right where it needed to be for me it had a wide curb side that allowed me to move over and let the idiot pass, it was close I mean the bridge was not that long and our combined speeds had to be in excess of 100 mph. I did every thing I could think of, mainly seeing the bridge and getting on the brakes hard enough to slow down and meet him right in the middle of it. what a moron...

Edited by Dave WM

41 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

One of the big disappointments for me though is that I see a lot of people that would have been interesting before.  But now that you can see more of what's inside them, they're not the same.

You've brought up one of the positives in this epidemic. We're seeing it bring out the best in some people and the worst in others. It makes it pretty easy to see what's going on inside others that's normally hidden. Our lack of sympathy, empathy and compassion, in varying degrees, is a gauge of how Narcissistic we all are. In these strange times we can easily spot the selfishness in others but can rarely see it in ourselves.

• Like 1