IGNORED

Right front tire rubs bumper when turning

Rio24

Good Morning,  a new issue showed it ugly face after I installed new wheels. When from 15x7 to 15x8 and now R/F tire rubs bumper when turning left.  I have read that nissan designed R/F caster to lead a little , but this is too much.  Can this be adjusted?  Also noticed that left front wheels poke is more that right side by 8mm.  Any suggestions?  Has anyone adjusted subframe for this reason.  No frame damage is apparent

20200404_192112.jpg

20200404_192036.jpg

20200403_152638.jpg

20200403_152624.jpg

1 hour ago, Rio24 said:

Good Morning,  a new issue showed it ugly face after I installed new wheels. When from 15x7 to 15x8 and now R/F tire rubs bumper when turning left.

Have you had it on the ground or are you turning the wheel while the wheels are hanging?

And where, exactly is it rubbing? The "bumper" is that chrome covered thing on the front of the car.

• Haha 1

Hello Zed. It rubs when driving.  I have it raised now to take wheels off. Sorry I shouldve made it more clear.  It rubs on sheet metal on lower part below the chrome bumper.  Wheel well area

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1318075431.jpeg

I experienced the rub when I went with bigger wheels, though I'm not sure you will like my solution. The lower valence was pretty beat up on my car, so I swapped out to an air dam. The air dam did not have the clearance issues that I had with the stock valence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jfa.series1 said:

Your photo shows a tire size of 225/50X15 and a calculator says you are about 1" smaller diameter than OE so that is not the problem.  Other than the 8" wheel width being the issue , are you running a 0 offset?

Hello. They are 0 offset.  I drove this car for 2 year with the previous wheels 15x7. Using the same times as now (225/50) and had no issues.  You can clearly a smaller gap in front of tire compared to the left side.

How thick is your spacer? Did you use the spacer with your previous wheels? 

The lower valence has some adjustment. Have you tried loosening that side to see if it will move forward?

(We see quite a few Z's with this issue when owners are changing wheels and tires... I had this issue when I first mounted my sons Rota Grids on Goldie. -> airdam)

• Like 2

If the tires have a wider wheel base their arc will be greater.  The arc of the turn can also affect what the wheel hits.

You could always "cheat" your T/C,  Take the inner sleeve out and cut a half inch off.  Put it back together and adjust to.  Might get you there.

Anyway, the reality is your new tires rub.  And, tires can have the same specs and still have a different shape.  I learned this in the past but the width number is actually the sidewall width, not the tread.  I always thought it was tread width but it's not.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/understanding-tire-sizes-and-types

Section width of tire (Example: P 225/45R17 91V)

The three digits following the service type prefix (if present) tell us the cross-sectional width of the tire in millimeters.

In the example above, the tires width, measured from the widest point of the inner sidewall to the widest point of the outer sidewall when properly mounted, is 225 millimeters.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cgsheen1 said:

How thick is your spacer? Did you use the spacer with your previous wheels? 

The lower valence has some adjustment. Have you tried loosening that side to see if it will move forward?

(We see quite a few Z's with this issue when owners are changing wheels and tires... I had this issue when I first mounted my sons Rota Grids on Goldie. -> airdam)

Good eye!  Spacer is 5 mm. And I did use it.  It still rubs with if off. Puzzled because spacing is fine on drivers side.   I'm going check the valence for adjust now.  Thanks!   I'll let you know soon