IGNORED

Trouble Reattaching Speedometer Cable

daty240z

Hello,

Over this past summer I got my first '72 240z. One of the first projects I took on was refurbishing the dashboard. After taking it out and putting it back in I was able to get all of the gauges working except for the speedometer (and thus the odometer). I have been trying to screw the cable into the back of the speedometer but every time I try it gets about half way and then won't thread anymore so the cable is not all the way in. I have attached a picture for reference. Could this be an alignment issue with the cable? Has anyone had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IMG-1983.pdf

I did this a while back and the only way I could do it (as my hands are too big and not triple jointed) was to disconnect the speedo cable at the tranny and pull some slack, then pull the dash part way out, attach the cable from above, replace the dash, pull the slack out and re-attach the cable to the tranny. I must have tried this every other way for too long as I didn't want to partially remove the dash again. Unfortunately it was the only way. Good luck.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 2

Disconnect it at the transmission.  Then spin the cable end by hand with the speedometer end screwed on.  It will screw on all the way with no pressure on the cable holding it off (edited this from earlier).  Push on the cable end while you spin it.  You have to get the hole aligned with the cable end.  It should drop in.

Then, you might have to spin the transmission output shaft when you reattach the transmission end.

Worth a shot, it worked for me.  I've never had the dash out of my car, but I have had the gauges out.  Wait until you get to the trip meter cable.  That's the tiny fingers problem.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

I struggled with it when I replaced my dash with the vintage dashes. it was tough but eventually I got it all to go in. One of the member here suggested removing the tach from the attached dash, then you should have relative easy access, thru the open tach area. I did not have to do that but maybe worth considering.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 1

I just did my 73 this weekend. Disconnect the transmission end so you can pull loose cable at the speedometer. Feed the cable in the firewall and then reach your hand up behind the speedometer to feel the threads. Now, pull the cable in and try to bend (coerce) the cable so it’s approaching the threads squarely. Now, push the threaded collar onto the speedometer threads and just keep spinning till the threads grab. The secret is to make sure you are square. One of those jobs that really suck on getting done on a Z.

4 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

I just did my 73 this weekend. Disconnect the transmission end so you can pull loose cable at the speedometer. Feed the cable in the firewall and then reach your hand up behind the speedometer to feel the threads. Now, pull the cable in and try to bend (coerce) the cable so it’s approaching the threads squarely. Now, push the threaded collar onto the speedometer threads and just keep spinning till the threads grab. The secret is to make sure you are square. One of those jobs that really suck on getting done on a Z.

Does your threaded collar screw all the way in or are there still some exposed threads on the back of the speedo?

Not sure.....I just threaded it on till snug, then threaded it back to the tranny, threaded it on there and amazingly it worked! LOL  Just get it squared up and it will eventually go on. (Scrapes on my arm to show how contorted I was). The job stands out right up there with removing rear driveshaft bolts and control arm pins in difficulty! 

• Like 1

on mine it was pretty obvious as Diseazd mentioned the key is the get it squared up so the lip on the cable is solid and square to the threaded end of the speedo. if that is good then the nut will retain it in that position. I guess its possible the problem is at the other end so if you are connecting it and its not working, maybe you should try and confirm the cable is turning when the drive shaft is moving.

Is it possible that the speedo and of the cable is stripped? It screws in just fine and still isn’t working. All I saw was after pulling the cable through more was a single tiny blip of the gauge and then nothing. Thanks.