IGNORED

OEM L-series Plastic Resin Valve Cover?

JDMjunkies.ch

A few days ago a car-buddy of mine asked me if i knew anything about Plastic valve covers and sent me a link.
I had a look and had to admit i've never seen it before. Information was hard to find (but maybe i was looking for the wrong terms)?
There are currently a few for sale but i wasn't able to find it in any of the Options catalogues, or in an FIA Homologation or something.
Does anybody know anything about these and how "rare" they are?
Which cars /years where they installed in?

Some sellers state that it is a "final" racing version which is sealing better compared to the standard metal items?
Not sure about that statement though.
Another seller says it came off an E-HS130 (280Z-T 2+2)

The quality seems to be OEM at first sight. Does anybody have some background information on this?
i-img1024x448-1584271965wt20t2773338.jpg

Not sure if the blue colour is original either. another one is black and a third one black/redi-img1024x575-1584271988yhe9vl737598.jpg

i-img1024x604-1584271962ye7kdx704512.jpg

thanks for any input

7 hours ago, HS30-H said:

They were indeed factory-fit parts, fitted to some S130-series Zs and other models. Nothing to do with racing. They were injection-moulded, with the better recessed type 'O-ring' gasket. I think they would originally have been painted black, and those garish blue and red versions have been painted after the fact.

There we go. That was my assumption too, but couldn't find any evidence on it.
Thanks for your inputs.

Still, no link, and pretty weak information.  "Indeed they were factory parts", but nothing more.  No offense to HS30.  Just not very filling.  Why, how, durability, scarcity...etc, all would add interest.

I assume that JDMJunkies will have these up for sale soon and didn't want to give away the source?  Just getting some ad copy?

From Tony D :

If it's been missed, remember that in TROPICAL environments the FIRST step is to put a 160F thermostat in there. That drops underhood temperatures SIGNIFICANTLY! I have recorded over 40-50F drop in some cases. Almost everything else after this point seeks to contain heat away from the injector bodies, or remove it from that area... But the FIRST step was to USE THE RIGHT THERMOSTAT FOR THE CONDITIONS PRESENT.

The later S30's vented the hood to let heat out.

The next step was more heat shielding and the WEBBED INTAKE MANIFOLD. (Along with a vented hood.)

The third step was the Fuel Prime (concurrent with the heat shielding and webbed manifold.)

The last step was blower fan, on SOME installations, where all prior steps were already taken save for hood venting on Cedrics, Glorias, Leopards, Laurels, etc.... The cars with unvented hoods got fans, some cars with vented hoods got fans (S130) On many of the UNVENTED HOOD applications, a PLASTIC VALVE COVER was used to suppress heat radiation above shielding in the unvented void, and to suppress noise.

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1