IGNORED

Another brake light issue

Dferr17

1971 240Z -  So before anyone gets on me, i searched, searched and searched again.  In a nutshell, my brake lights are not working nor are the hazards (tell me you havent heard this one before haha).  Everything else seems to be working fine. Turn signals are good, dome, dash, headlights, horn are all working as should.  ( i dont have the front signals hooked up yet)

The first thing i checked were my fuses with a test light, they all lit up and fine(all the connectors were sanded down and cleaned prior).   I'm getting power to the fuse box from the battery.  After that i tested to see if i was getting power to the brake switch and there is no power to it. I then tested the back of the hazard switch.  My test light is bright on one side and dim on the other.  I took apart the hazard switch to check the connectors inside, all of them were clean.  After that i changed the hazard relay flasher on the passenger side kick panel to a new universal one, problem still persists. All the bulbs in in the light sockets light up, i checked the grounds back there and all looks good

Thoughts?

Edited by Dferr17

You’re right. That would’ve helped, 1971 240Z. Just edited the original post. Which fusible link would you be referring to? Is it specific to this part of the system? There was a link i replaced one the engine compartment. But i doubt you’re referring to that one. 

Thanks for the replies. As you guys were helping, I was pulling off  the turn signal switch off and took it apart. Cleaned anything that was corroded. So that switch is all clean and working, the hazard switch as well. I’ll check out the couple things you mentioned including following that circuit 

• 2 months later...

I was about to create a new topic as I am having the exact same issue. Only difference is I have power coming to the brake light switch. I have ran out of ideas at this point.

Let me know if you end up finding the issue.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, siteunseen said:

There's also a switch/plug in type thing below the brake fluid masters that can kill those lights.

Good luck! Need brake lights. LOL

Can you elaborate on which switch this is? are you referring to windshield washer pump? I have is disconnected at the moment.

Thanks. 

32 minutes ago, Electrolabs said:

So I found this topic  and I had the exact same issue. The fuse box fuse connectors were corroded, I cleaned them and the hazard works perfect now. However, now my turn signals won't work.. 

Dig through this: https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/