IGNORED

Inheriting a Z and introducing myself

landon

Hi,

I am going to be inheriting a 280Z and it looks like the time is drawing close.

In 1976 an older friend bought a brand new 280Z in British Racing Green. He and his wife then promptly went on vacation, hiring me to keep an eye on the place (by letting me stay there).

As an 18 year old I couldn't help myself - when they left the car had 80 miles on it and when they came back it had over 700 miles on it. He didn't say much about it, but I know he was somewhat miffed at me. I did wash and detail it before they got home so maybe that made him feel batter.

Anyway, long story short, he still has the car. I know he has maintained it at the dealer regularly and has all the little dings and scratches attended to every other Spring or so. Several years ago he told me that the car is in his will to be bequeathed to me because he knows I will value it as he does. He and his wife are childless by choice and I am the closest thing they have to a son. 

Recently he has taken quite ill and has not improved. I hope he recovers, but if not I stand ready to receive the car.

The question will be, what do I do with it?

Show it? Drive it? Hotrod it? I can virtually guarantee it's completely stock and original (paint and all), and garaged all these years, although high in mileage I'm sure.

I might add selling it is out of the question. It has been a dear friend for over 40 years, and it has been that long since I have driven it.

I am here to learn all I can about these cars before it ends up in my driveway.

Landon

• Like 3

Agree with DatsunZGuy. Keep it nice and pass it on to your "son/daughter".  They're a lot of fun to work on too, as you already know the driving part is the best.

You'll find tons of help and info plus some good friendships here at classiczcars.com.  Cliff

P.s....

Pictures!  We are a huge group of vouyers. LOL  

I am inclined to agree... that being said, should I stick with his practice of taking it to the dealer for all servicing or am I better off finding an independent shop? I'm not a big fan of dealer servicing overall but equally unfamiliar with Datsun so maybe they are different?

The big decision I have to make is a) flying from WA to MD and driving it back cross country (more fun); or b) having it shipped (more convenient but prior bad history). Either one bears significant risk - it's not like I can say, "hey, could you have it looked over before you go?"

3 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Agree with DatsunZGuy. Keep it nice and pass it on to your "son/daughter".  They're a lot of fun to work on too, as you already know the driving part is the best.

You'll find tons of help and info plus some good friendships here at classiczcars.com.  Cliff

P.s....

Pictures!  We are a huge group of vouyers. LOL  

Cliff, I wish! The car is in MD and I am in WA...

• Like 1

I agree with the others. I would keep it as close to original as possible. It will also, most likely, retain the most value that way too.

You might be able to do much of the maintenance yourself as most dealers don't have anyone old enough to be experts on these older cars. If I thought the car would make the trip, I would drive it. Mind you, I would wait until after the salt is gone

• Like 2

It's kinda sad that your friend will be likely separated from the car he's loved and cared for with such devotion since 1976. Having not had children, along with other parting thoughts, I'm sure he's thought about not enjoying his Z any longer. This might be something we'll all face down the line.

If you've been appointed as the next "keeper of Z" by your departing friend, I agree that following his line will pay honor to your friendship but, as we do when we buy a used home, we tend to repair some things that have not been taken care of by the previous owner simply because priorities change as we grow older or sick. Your new ownership will bring new momentum for increased care and to take on overdue projects like replacing worn weatherstripping, electrical and mechanical issues that invariably arise but may have been put on a back burner as your friend aged and sickened. So keep it as original as he had it but invest in worthy maintenance so as to keep it roadworthy, safe and enjoyable.  Please take pics and post often and, most importantly, (if you can) assure your friend before he parts that you will take care of his baby. 

• Like 3

Oh, absolutely! I'll post whatever I can when the time comes - could be a week, could be a decade. Hopefully the latter but more likely closer to the former.

Currently the car is stored for the winter; his illness has been rather sudden so hopefully neglect won't be an issue. He is in his late 80s but drives the car to work regularly in the warmer months. 

I'm sure he has immaculate records as well. He is very disciplined that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, landon said:

I am inclined to agree... that being said, should I stick with his practice of taking it to the dealer for all servicing or am I better off finding an independent shop? I'm not a big fan of dealer servicing overall but equally unfamiliar with Datsun so maybe they are different?

The big decision I have to make is a) flying from WA to MD and driving it back cross country (more fun); or b) having it shipped (more convenient but prior bad history). Either one bears significant risk - it's not like I can say, "hey, could you have it looked over before you go?"

You can do the work yourself, simple cars.  If it's free to you I would have it dropped at your house.  Start a new thread or use our members map to get someone to go look at it if you think you need to.  Personally I wouldn't drive an unknown that far.  There's a lot of cut throat shippers now days.  A truck and trailer is all they need, no drug test CDL license required.  Get a highly rated one though that's bonded.

Do your homework.  Measure twice...

LOL

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

You can do the work yourself, simple cars.  If it's free to you I would have it dropped at your house.  Start a new thread or use our members map to get someone to go look at it if you think you need to.  Personally I wouldn't drive an unknown that far.  There's a lot of cut throat shippers now days.  A truck and trailer is all they need, no drug test CDL license required.  Get a highly rated one though that's bonded.

Do your homework.  Measure twice...

LOL

I once had a Falcon Sprint convertible shipped. When I got it, finally, it had been driven 480 miles. There were several huge scratches in the door and a burn in the seat. One of the tires was flat.

I was there when it shipped out and I was there when a different truck brought it. Complaining got me nowhere.

• Sad 1