IGNORED

Your 240 might be worth more than you thought

Richard McDonel

A 21,000 mile , 1970, Series 1 240Z just sold on BringaTrailer for $310,000 (U.S.).  Not a misprint - there are six digits there.  

I tried to get into that page to see what people were thinking, but at 800 plus comments, the forum seized up.

Might be a good time to update that insurance appraisal.

Cheers All,

I compiled the last few bids in that thread.  The seller, apparently, only wanted $140,000.  The reserve was met at around that bid point.  

I assume that there is some final verification inspection before the money actually changes hands.  Plus the fact that the buyer has to actually have the money, and be "real".  BaT should have some sort of post-auction followup to show that it's not fake.  Somebody just started a thread about 240Z that sold for $21,000 on BaT but now it's for sale again, apparently, for much less than $21,000.  Hard to tell if the sales actually get completed.  Hopefully, Marc Schiliro will followup.

https://msclassiccarsllc.com/VehicleDetails.aspx?vid=751

Zed,

My computer seized up with 9 seconds until the end of bidding.  The car had reached $310,000 at that point.  Minutes later I received notification of the sale at $310,000, but could not get into comments, and as of 10 minutes ago, still could not.  

I occasionally find myself parked next to a Ferrari Testa Rosa in a downtown parkade.  I'll have to rib the prosperous lawyer who owns it - hey Chris, howcum you keep driving econo boxes?

• Haha 2

That car was for sale for $55k before the dealer got it.  It was listed on a classifieds site I never visit.  It was less than an hour from my house.  Had I known, it wouldn't have been for sale.  :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 87mj said:

That car was for sale for $55k before the dealer got it.  It was listed on a classifieds site I never visit.  It was less than an hour from my house.  Had I known, it wouldn't have been for sale.  ?

He reconized it for the opportunity it was and made great money!!!

@87mj,

Ohhh the pain of missed opportunities!

I had the same feeling a number of years ago when BaT was young, and listing perhaps half a dozen cars a day.  I missed following it for a about a week, and when I checked back on, a late 1960s Alfa Romeo roadster with 5,000 original miles had sold for something like $6,000.  That car was less than 100 miles from where I live.  

Perhaps a sip of Scotch will calm bad old memories.   

RE: Z car values, the Jan issue of Classic Motorsports reports that a 1972 Datsun 240Z sold at Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas for $23,000 and that "Hagarty says that top examples are now worth north of $60,000. This numbers matching car (referring to the sale above) , resprayed in the original color, brought in more than No. 3 money".