IGNORED

Routing for fuel level sender harness?

BoldUlysses

OK I can't find any info for this specific question online and I can't remember for the life of me how it came off the car.

Where exactly does the fuel level sender harness come up through the unibody so it can connect with the body harness?  I.e. which hole in the hatch area?

There's a hole directly above the tank and I'm reeeeeeeeally hoping I don't have to drop the tank again because I did things out of sequence...

Thanks in advance all.

The fuel level sender harness comes up into the car through the bottom or side of the rear P/S pocket behind the rear wheel,  you will have to remove the rear interior side panel, behind that you will see the fuel filler hose.  Just in front of that search around with your hand and you'll find it, it should have a rubber grommet in the hole.

4 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The fuel level sender harness comes up into the car through the bottom or side of the rear P/S pocket behind the rear wheel,  you will have to remove the rear interior side panel, behind that you will see the fuel filler hose.  Just in front of that search around with your hand and you'll find it, it should have a rubber grommet in the hole.

If it's the hole you're referring to, I believe I routed one of the evap lines (the small one that comes off the top of the tank) through there using this image as a guide:

fuel-hoses.jpg

^Actually, now that I look at it again, that's most likely the fuel level sender wire wrapping underneath the filler neck toward the back of the tank...

Thank you all.  Looks like I'll have to drop the tank again...  Grrrr.

The Jan 1971 above has two holes in the floor. The harness has two groups of wires that run through these: One group is for the sender leads and the other is for a ground connection leads.

A 1973 that I am now working on does not have the ground leads coming from the rear harness so it only needs one hole as Kats shows,

Here is the run to the fuel sender and the extra leads for the optional fuel pump.

Green&Black (Fuel Pump)

Yellow& Black (Fuel Sender)

006.jpg

Here is the original ground connection that has broken. Two ground leads come out of the the harness and are bonded by the connector.

broken ground.jpg

Edited by 240260280

9 hours ago, 240260280 said:

1977 280z has an access port in the floor. The sender is in the top of the tank.

The connector has 3 wires.

1. Sender
  2. return
  3. low fuel sensor.

Access to Fuel Sender.JPG

Sort of related: In my '78 the "low Fuel" warning light does not seem to be going on even with the tank approaching totally empty. The bulb checked out OK. How can I test from the connector leads over the fuel sender?

@BoldUlysses, so you can see I'm totally wrong in my advice but I just remembered why I thought the hole was in the bottom of the pocket, like you I found myself trying to get the fuel sender wires up through the hole above the tank.  I really didn't want to drop the tank again so I spliced in an extension and created a access hole in that pocket near the fill hose.  Lazy but it works fine.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:29 PM, grannyknot said:

@BoldUlysses, so you can see I'm totally wrong in my advice but I just remembered why I thought the hole was in the bottom of the pocket, like you I found myself trying to get the fuel sender wires up through the hole above the tank.  I really didn't want to drop the tank again so I spliced in an extension and created a access hole in that pocket near the fill hose.  Lazy but it works fine.

It's OK!  Thanks for chiming in.  I got the fuel sender harness routed earlier this evening.  It was easier than I thought it would be:  I undid the fuel tank straps and filler neck and pivoted the tank down just enough to be able to get the harness through and secure the ground screw to the frame.  I routed it through the rubber finger on the frame and hitched up the tank again.  Done.

Only issue now is that the terminal boots are hard as rocks.  Going to try a hair dryer tomorrow and see if I can soften them.  Since they're interchangeable, does it matter which wire goes to which terminal on the sender end plate?