IGNORED

Mint '71 240Z - More Fun Coming to BaT

DatsunZGuy

52 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I think they're very biased viewpoints, ones not knowing or not willing to acknowledge the whole picture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bartsscooterservice said:

So your saying all these sources are lying ?

Hey Bart, enough of the passive-aggressive crap, eh?  He was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame for his successful career, not because he urinated 24 carat gold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

That is exactly what came out of 26th and 27th.  Its not cheapo-flimsy tape.  It is an embossed vinyl fabric, but it is glued into the cover plate recess.

I've seen it on a few consoles.  Usually the very thin plastic was cracked and seemed like those delicate Christmas ornaments with the sunken "eye".

Nice that you explained what it was. Thanks!

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

I've seen the SCCN for Nippon but there seems to be an SCCJ as well. Is it the same?

SCCN = Sports Car Club of Nissan
TMSC = Toyota Motor Sports Club
PMC-S = Prince Motorist Club Sports

etc

These are all manufacturer-linked racing club organisations. SCCJ was different because it was a national racing club organisation, and not single-brand affiliated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Now for a question on the green car, was it standard to have a block off plate in the centre console where the throttle lever would have been. I had never seen one before.

North American cars from my understanding had them "revoked" due to different state laws (perhaps a Federal law) around the safety of a hand throttle. So although the cars had an allocation for the hand throttle. I heard they were removed once they arrived in the continent. Some cars escaped that scrutiny and survived with hand throttles in place.

Australian market cars had them for 70 and 71 models up until the console change over to the later style version. However we found an exception in my 71 240z which was/is a factory auto car. @HS30-H had discussed that this may have been due to the auto box and removed as a safety measure because you can't simply press the clutch in to disengage the drivetrain.

7 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Clue: I'm talking about the two pre-stamped round cutouts (unused) on the firewall jute pad.

I wonder if these are for the S20 motor heater hoses?

7 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

The other interesting thing about the above photo is the tab at the top of the accelerator pedal for the throttle lever cable to attach to and also the bracket on the bulkhead. It seems you would still be able to retro fit the original components. I wonder when they deleted these tabs and brackets from production for US cars.

You should be able to retrofit the throttle cable set up to these cars. Like I said, AU market HS30's had these in place up until the 72 model came in.

But that's my sticking point on the "series 1" moniker. It doesn't really mean anything when you look at these cars in the context of a global market. It doesn't really mean anything in the context of the US/NA market either, but some try and bend it to their will with terms like "series 1.5" haha.

7 hours ago, HS30-H said:

I wonder whether more than a very few of the people looking at the (wonderful!) photos provided for this auction wonder what the blanked-off double switch on the right of the rear window defroster switch was originally provided for?

AU markets (HS30) cars in most cases got neither the defogger or parker lamp switches, so had 2 block off plates.

With regard to that vinyl/sticker. Sadly I found part of mine got hoovered up while cleaning the dirt and grime out of my 71. I may end up fitting the hand throttle though anyway... Since I like it. ?

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Certainly not all employees at Nissan were involved in the development of the Z...  :bunny:

It was a Nissan product, not a Katayama product.

Personally I would congratulate ALL the people at Nissan - even the guys who swept the floor and the ladies in the staff canteens - for doing their bit, however small, in making great products. And I would include everyone at Nissan Shatai, as well as all the component manufactures at companies like Niles, Koito, Toshiba, Yuasa, Mitsubishi, Ampco, Tokico, Everwing, IKI, Izumi, Bridgestone and any number of other companies who were making parts which were small pieces in the jigsaw puzzle which made these - and other - fine cars. 

I've been lucky and privileged enough to meet some of that generation of people who made these cars - some of them parents and relatives of good friends - and I am full of admiration for their work. I'd rather thank all of them than just one man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

That is exactly what came out of 26th and 27th.  Its not cheapo-flimsy tape.  It is an embossed vinyl fabric, but it is glued into the cover plate recess.

Thanks. It's in such good condition in the green BaT auction car* that it looks just like the textured finish of the injection-moulded plastic on the choke/hand throttle mount. Amazing!

*Hey, we haven't got a catchy name for it yet, have we? Lstepp4Re's idea to name it didn't fly, did it? He's got "Frankie" The Franklin Mint Cartm.
Do I remember him calling this one "Goldie" or "Greenie" or something like that, or did I have too much cheese before bed last night?

'310' isn't cutting it for me. That one is already taken.

3 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

So your saying all these sources are lying ?

No. I'm saying that - much like the guy on BaT who was under the impression that Katayama designed and personally specified 'the 240Z' - they are not necessarily as well informed as they would ideally be.

I was watching the BaT auction, following the comments, and it brought it home to me that people you *might* think would be fairly well informed about these cars (you know, like people who profess to own more than 30 of them...) are either dismally ill-informed or just plain lazy. Maybe they have been led somewhat astray by the type of articles you linked to. I think the "American Car, Made In Japan" narrative does not help matters. If people want to own these cars and just drive them, that's fine. They can hang 'em on the wall and just look at them, and that too is fine. But if people want to pipe up and tell us all that headlamp covers were "only aftermarket" then they had better be right, right? And when somebody attempts to straighten that out with a little perspective and hard data, but gets 'flagged as unconstructive' and deleted because three or four people don't like it, that's wrong - right?    

It strikes me - once again - that there's a deeper discussion to be had, and more research to be done, on how the HLS30U, HLS30UN and HLS30UV variants came to be set in the specification that they were finally sold in. This is something not covered in any depth in Uemura san's book and I believe it would be interesting and educational to get more deeply into. Personally I find it interesting and educational to look at and compare different market variants that were made around the same time period, but some are telling us that's "irrelevant" because "Made For USA"...

34 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

I wonder if these are for the S20 motor heater hoses?

AirCon. Not fitted.

There's a little hole with a rubber plug in the top of the trans tunnel, under the dash. AirCon drain hole.

Edited to add: S20-engined cars used same two heater hose holes as L20A/L24-engined cars. Universal. Good engineering!

Edited by HS30-H

Interesting, I always thought Air Con was an after thought on early S30Z's which was later revised in 1974 with later style dashboard change. Hence why so many had "dealer" optioned aircon, but it appears it was a consideration from the beginning perhaps?

I think you've mention in the past that some HS30-H's had special aircon ducting up front in the Gnose portion of the nose. Was there a factory fitted Air Con set up? Any photos of it?

18 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

Interesting, I always thought Air Con was an after thought on early S30Z's which was later revised in 1974 with later style dashboard change. Hence why so many had "dealer" optioned aircon, but it appears it was a consideration from the beginning perhaps?

You could order air conditioning from the factory in 1970 on Japanese delivered cars.

• Like 1