IGNORED

Upper Steering Bearing

heyitsrama

I have an early 260z and wanted to know about this upper steering bearing. I hear this annoying squeak coming from the bearing right now, but i cant seem to find any replacement options (NLA) 48910-23100 #5 on http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/steering/steering-column

it seems super dirty, if i cant replace it, is it possible to remove the inner housing and clean+ repack it? it looks like some of the balls are missing as the distance between the balls are not consistent.

I found this thread by @Captain Obvious but the images are no longer available.

IMG_4490.JPG

I've never found a way to get them out without destroying it, the big gap in the ball bearings is suppose to be there, at least all four steering shafts I have torn down where the same. Basically all you can do pull the whole unit from the car, wipe away the big grease and spray it with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air.  Repeat that 5-6 times then repack it again with fresh bearing grease using the palm of your hand just like wheel bearing.

Removing the top C ring #8 you can do by yourself but getting it back on is a 2 man job because you have that large spring to deal with. But it's worth it, steering movement is so smooth afterwards, it also give you a chance to clean the contacts on the column switches.

Sorry no tricks with the bearing, but I have a trick to putting that C clip back on. You put your back into it, literally.

Get one of those 1” wide tie down ratchet strap things, sit in the car, put the steering wheel retaining  nut back on the tip of the column. Wrap your tie down strap around the threads behind the nut, sit a bit forward,  then wrap the strap around your back under the arms more or less, and tie it off back to the column.

Then get the snap ring tool ready, (you did put the snap ring on the shaft before the nut and the strap right?) just lean back and pull the column toward you. Put the snap ring back on, then lean forward to remove the tension. You’ll be surprised how easy it is.

After you realize you can’t undo the knots you made, wait for your wife to discover you in the garage and set you free. Prepare an appropriate story of how you got that way, while you wait, then invite her to tie herself to the glove box so you can do something together for once.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

now just gotta figure out why the blinkers don’t turn off after making a turn ha.

This turn signal unit is off of a 510 but it's the same mechanism, those 2 ears on the signal unit are pushed out into the path of the 2 posts on the underside of the steering wheel when you signal a turn.  As soon as you turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction after completing your turn one of the posts will hit the ear and force it out of the way, canceling the signal and breaking the electrical contact. 

That's where you need to look, sometimes the posts or the ears get bent or broken off.

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

• Like 1

I know you already took care of your column without taking the bearings out, but just so they exist somewhere, here's my photos from the job. Note that if you are going to take the bearings out of the column, you'll obviously need to have the column out of the car and disassembled.

Tap the bearings out of the housing if you dare. I used a long chunk of brass rod because that's what I had laying around and used that to tap the bearings out from the far end. The bearings are press fits into the column tube, but it's not a very tight press. Work your way around the perimeter tapping gently and you can walk them out.

Here's the long brass rod that I used:
P1080019.JPG

Tapping around the perimeter, walk the bearings "gently" out of the tube:
P1080012.JPG

P1080013.JPG

Then once you get the bearing assy out, you can pop the retaining ring and lose the balls:
P1030096.JPG

There are thirty balls in the bearings so you can count what you have to make sure you didn't drop any:
P1030097.JPG

I've been through this job a couple times now and I have added additional balls to the bearings. Not necessary, but I like the feel. I think it tightens things up a tiny bit. Originally there are thirty balls and I usually add one on each end. @Sean240Z added two balls to his and he really likes the way that turned out as well.

So now that you're already done and the pictures were late to the party.... Let me know if there are any questions.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and fuzzy memory with no pics, but my trick to getting the ring back on with the column in the car was to wedge something (screwdriver probably) into the upper U-joint area next to the steering coupler donut area to force the steering shaft towards the driver's seat far enough to get the ring back on. IIRC, you can loosen the coupler bolts and compress that lower spring enough to get the ring back on.

I try not to "put my back into it" anymore. Bad stuff happens.

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Tap the bearings out of the housing if you dare. I used a long chunk of brass rod because that's what I had laying around and used that to tap the bearings out from the far end. The bearings are press fits into the column tube, but it's not a very tight press. Work your way around the perimeter tapping gently and you can walk them out.

Thank you, I'll give that try.

• 3 years later...

Wow, what a difference! Cleaned and regreased upper and lower bearings. I also added two new 1/8in balls to each. My steering column is completely rock solid now:)

A great tool for anyone removing the bearings is a blind bearing puller such as this! https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-hammer-and-bearing-puller-set-5-piece-62601.html    Keeps the bearing from being damaged and makes the job real easy.