IGNORED

78 280z Thoughts

startt21

Just a thought I have had wanting some of your opinions on. I have been collecting parts to swap my 280z over to carbs for about a year now. And between that and replacing bushing I am finally at a point where I have to make the final decision (for now) if I want to stay fuel injected or if I want to go with the carb/cam setup I have collected the parts for. I am doing the research right now to make sure I have all the parts, but my question is this would it be worth it to buy one of the universal wiring kits and rewire the whole car? I know a lot of wiring can be removed when going to the carb but it would also allow me to replace the old wiring and give it a cleaner look. Also I could remove the fusible links.

I wouldn't do the loom replacement at this time. Swap the EFI out and get it running good. If you want to rework the loom later do it then. I believe the EFI harness is a stand alone unit. So I think it can be removed when the EFI is removed. That should clean it up some.

You can remove the EFI harness completely, but you will need to make a relay setup to run the original fuel pump and use the oil switch to activate the fuel pump. If you do use the original fuel pump, how do you plan to regulate the fuel pressure?

I concur with the above. Change one thing at a time otherwise you will have issues and won't know where to focus your attention.

5 hours ago, startt21 said:

Thanks guys. I’m actually planning on running a aftermarket pump that I will either run on a toggle switch or will tie to a different relay. 

I would definitely consider using a relay system running through the oil pressure switch for safety reasons.

Maybe a dual relay. One to run the pump during cranking and after the engine starts it would run on the second relay.