IGNORED

L28 full rebuild assembly

Av8ferg

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

It’s really loose. Would probably pop off on a normal drive. I recall it being somewhat tight to remove. Would a high temp sealant be a good idea?

Did you try a plastic mallet or a block of wood?  I think that the parts have some taper and it's meant to be a press fit.  Very crude, just get it started and pound it in until it's tight.

I think that it might be described in Monroe's How to Rebuild book.

Did you install the screen/mesh on the inside of the block that covers that hole?

Edited by Zed Head
added a the

Yep, new screen and cover installed inside. I even blue thread locked the screws to make sure they never fell
Inside the pan.
I have tried using a mallet but it didn’t seems to make a difference. Maybe I need hit it harder and see what happens. I wanted to make sure they’re wasn’t something I missed before I started smacking away on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I really forgot what a pain I the a$$ putting the manifolds and heat shields on are on these engines. I need some child size hands.
I ran into another problem. The intake manifold lower bolt flange thickness is about double the thickness of the header surface. (One of the shared bolts). This mean when you put the washer on and bolt it down the washer doesn’t even touch the header matting surface. I imagine this isn’t good and would manifest into an exhaust leak. I need a washer that is thicker on one 1/2 of it. Anyone tackled this problem?

Here’s the best pic I could get showing the problem.

aad1cc560ca1ac6937e3b95eac9dddbd.jpg

I guess I should have researched more before asking.  I knew I couldn't be the first to have this issue. 

1. Make my own 

2. Call Pacesetter 

Looks like another work stoppage!!  AWOP = "Awaiting Parts"  A term used in aviation when you are waiting for parts. 

Thanks Bruce, Just measured it there is 6mm difference, slightly less than 4 pennies thickness for a mental picture.

I’m going to call Pacesetter and see if thy can assist. Second option is to cut some washers and stack them in one side. I don’t have a welder (yet).

Problem solved. Nice guys over at Pacesetter. I guess the headers come with these step washers but since I bought mine on CL I didn’t get them. They were $2 each and in their way.

• Like 2