IGNORED

What engine do I have?

Michael.Reitsma

So I cant find any markings on what engine I have and I'm looking at buying a overhaul kit. Non of the forums have helped me so far. On the valve cover all it says is Nissan.OHC it's a non turbo so I'm completely stuck and need help to figure out what engine I got so I can get her running again. Much appreciate all the help I cant get. 

51 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Take it apart first and measure everything to know for sure. It could have over sized positions from previous rebuild.

I would buy Tom Monroe's How to rebuild Nissan L Motors. Amazon has them for less than $20.

20191024_025404.jpg

So I found the block number which is a N42. What liter engine is that?

46 minutes ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Pictures could help a lot.. but i think your having a 280z or 280zx block.. 2753cc ,  The serial nr is on the head, near the headseal.. where it says N42?

It says N42 to the right of the drivers side engine mount. I'll have to clean it up a bit more and I'll upload pictures of the markings I've found. 

Look below the head between the #5 and #6 plugs, just above the coolant split for the heater core. Looks like this :

eng nub.jpg

It will be L24 L26 or L28 and some numbers. I expect an L28 as N42 casting blocks are found in early 280's 

The head number is as stated above. N42 or N47 or something else as they do often get changed. 

13 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

ofcourse.. dummy me.. the ser.nr. is on the block!  just under the headseal..  :facepalm:

9 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Look above the 1st and 2nd spark plugs, closest to the radiator, for the cylinder head identifying numbers. N42, N47 most likely.

Okay so I did find it. The L28 isnt stock for a 74 260z is it?

20191024_162502.jpg