IGNORED

Need Exorcist - Unstable Battery voltage indicator

Labubre

77 Z

Since i own my car, i saw from time to time battery indicator going down to "zero" and coming back alone above 12V. This while driving.

But i was able to observe following routine:

I enter in the car, Indicator shows 12V

Put key and turn ignition to "ON" position and then...bye bye! Indicator shows "0"

I would drive few miles then notice suddenly that it indicating 12V again. Engine still on i've been trying to activate different instruments to see if they were having an effect on battery indicator value. The only 2 that have effects are:

- ventilation: if i activate the fan, indicator goes to "0" and then the indicator will never come back to 12V until i stop the car. Even if i stop the fan.

- hazard switch: which is not working...Same effect, indicator goes to "0" and will never come back during the ride. Funnier, when hazard switch is "ON", blinkers are not working....when i put hazard back on "OFF" blinkers work back again. Should be hazard relay OR cooling fluid leak on central console connectors (under checking)

Hope there is no similar post somewhere i did not find!

Any ideas welcome!

Seb

PS: any method to test a hazard relay?

2 hours ago, Labubre said:

Thanks Mark!

Just to be sure what i call "hazard relay" is your "hazard flasher". Right?

Probably but flashers and relays are two different items. The flasher is the component that switches the hazard signal on and off. It is also the source of the on and off noise. It's located under the left side of the dash and is likely along side the turn signal flasher.

Okaaaay, excuse my french! :)

There are 2, 1 for turn signal above your left knee on driver seat. Another above your right foot, right above the throttle pedal...almost broke my back to find this studip one...I got it replace but not tested yet.

Any guess for the battery indicator???

Or this could also come from the dead hazard flasher

• 2 weeks later...

My hazard and turn signal flashers were inverted.

if turn signal is working OK in both position, hazard flasher does not!

with dead hazard flasher is correct position, the hazard does not work, and the battery indicator goes from 0V to 12V depending if i activate hazard switch or not.

new hazard flasher upon order

On my 77Z, the turn signal flasher is located above your right foot, above the throttle pedal.

And hazard flasher is near rheostat for illumination

Believe a new hazard flasher in correct position will fix it all!

Will keep you posted

Seb

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Back on this one...had to fix other issues!

New hazard flasher installed at right location were he will get 11-12V and not the 13-14V that blinker/turn signal flasher gets.

After a ride and engines still ON, i activate Hazard switch. Battery indicator stays around 16V. Green arrow are working. I go out, warning light are working. Go back in the car, no anymore green arrow and battery indicator at 0V. Engines still ON. All happen within 20 seconds.

Now everytime i activate hazard switch battery goes to 0V and when i desactivate hazard switch, battery indicator comes back to its origin.

Still cannot understand the connection between the 2 wiring diagrams.

Any help/idea still welcome.

Hazard switch ordered and ruined after testing...35$!!!

HazardFlasher2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Solved!!!

1 of the Hazard fuse holder was corroded on the outside and inner side...generating bad continuity.

After cleaning...i activate hazard switch that worked fine and battery indicator stayed still!

Thanks for the support and big up for Steve!

Culprit:

Cosse.jpg

• Like 1