IGNORED

SURVEY: 240z Hitachi AM/ FM Radio Question

dhp123166

Well it depends on what you want from your car - at the end of the day it’s YOUR car!! I vexed about this one for some time then slapped myself and went back to reality where I painfully gutted it and replaced the internals such that every switch and button works but with modern internals.

The fact is, I don’t run original tyres, brake pads / discs, I have non-flat top carbs, non-original colour / wheels, non factory exhaust, non-stock alternator or distributor, H4 headlamps, poly bushing, stainless steel bumpers, unleaded fuel ... and the list goes on. But what I do want from my car is to drive the way I enjoy driving it, to be what I demand of it and for the stereo to function properly. That means picking up radio stations I actually want to hear, connecting to my iPhone and playing my music, acting as a hands free kit when I get a call and having enough power to be heard over that glorious straight six warble and entertain me when on the motorway while sitting at 70 in 5th being bored.

On the last trip to Silverstone 50th I sat in traffic for well over 3 hours not moving very quickly and participated in a conference call for two hours + some classic period correct 70’s disco [emoji41] for the rest of the time - until we hit the decent roads and turned it all off to enjoy the real soundtrack.

As an old school electronic engineer, it pained me greatly to to destroy the beautifully crafted interior of that radio but what I wanted was a fully functional, decent sounding piece of kit that is more than nostalgia in function yet looks totally original when not in use.

However if I had a concourse, fully stock Z, then I’d keep everything original any day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dmorales-bello said:

To me the whole "ambiance" inside the cabin is what matters. That includes all switches and knobs looking good and working properly, including the radio. I really don't mind if the radio was repaired with old or new technology as long as it looks era correct, but the best sound possible it emits is truly appreciated.

This guy has it figured out.  I am the same way.  That is why I would NEVER consider converting my analog clock to quartz.  I even notice (and remember from my youth in 1979), the sound of that loud clock ticking right before I turn the key.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 87mj said:

This guy has it figured out.  I am the same way.  That is why I would NEVER consider converting my analog clock to quartz.  I even notice (and remember from my youth in 1979), the sound of that loud clock ticking right before I turn the key.

ah the sound of the ticking indeed! I just like the feel of the push buttons. I did comprise some, I put in a second speaker (in the unused location) and popped for a later model Hitachi that had stereo, I am not a barbarian after all.

• Like 2