IGNORED

Early 74 260Z Adventure

DC_Mike

20 hours ago, DC_Mike said:

LOL, that you did Captain, that you did. It's going to be a learning process and a test of patience but it will go back together! Here's a general question. I'd gone some searching and their seem to be as many answers as there are people, but what are the opinions on the process of going about this. My plan is 1) Media Blast 2) Epoxy primer 4) Rust repair and at some point in there I need to fix the oil canning in the roof. I'm holding a bit till the humidity and weather drops around here, but i'll have to act fast before it gets below freezing. Thoughts?

The plan is pretty good. I would have a professional handle the media blasting. They need to be careful as the cars are easily damaged or ruined.  As for the oil canning, do some searching on metal shrinking on here and you tube. Need to paint right away after blasting!

• Thanks 1

So my build thread title is now wrong. After starting to tear down the car I got to the firewall VIN, and thought "Hmmmm, that doesn't look right" I check the door jam and sure enough they were different, then my thought changed to "Oh shi...." Well after some research the firewall VIN is clean and clear, no salvage, no theft, someone just replaced the plates for some odd reason, but I ACTUALLY own a 73 240Z, with an L24 engine with Weber carbs and Cannon intake manifold (BTW if anyone wants the engine it's fair game). Engine and trans coming out this weekend and the disassembly continues.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Slowly but surely progress is being made! Got the engine and transmission out (if someone wants a engine or 4 spd trans let me know) and started cleaning out the engine bay. I few pin hole rust spots that will need to be fixed is the current analysis (don't worry there are plenty of other rust spots that will be part of the adventure. Going the Vermont route to resolve the title issue, unfortunately since you pay taxes based on NADA value up there it's isn't going to be cheap. More to come soon. . .

20191013_125606.jpg

20191023_161916.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm back! After a couple of cold months and a couple of travel months, I finally been back in the garage tearing the Z apart. Sent the paperwork off to Vermont to get my registration in order to transfer to a VA title. Down to just getting the suspension and the brake hoses out of the Z at this point. Looks like I'll be at LEAST doing a new rear deck sill, replacing the floorpans and rails, doing the A pillar repair as well as some pinhole rust places over the course of this summer. Really looking forward to diving into it all. Due to the extent of what needs to be done I think the plan is going to be do some. I'm plan on doing a good portion of the rust repair, then getting it blasted and primered, finish up any remaining repairs, then move forward from there. rear_Jan2020.jpgInterior_Jan2020.jpgIMG_20200301_182813_905.jpg

• Like 1

Alright well, everything is out except the suspension, I started picking and stripping somethings back and the rust gremlins have started to come out. There is no getting a new project here so I'm going to buckle in and see what we can do here. Besides the floors here are the 3 worst stops as of right now.

These two are in the roof cross member, one is definitely worse than the other, took a boroscope to the inside and it seems to be pretty isolated to these areas for now. .. .

20200307_222208.jpg

20200307_222150.jpg

This one just got worse as I picked at it, but then abruptly got better, it's layered as well so going to have to take my time with this one. . .

20200307_222224.jpg

From the inside. .

20200307_222257.jpg