IGNORED

Early 74 260Z Adventure

DC_Mike

Well after purchasing a 71 240Z off Copart and basically receiving a polished turd due to all the internal frame rust issues, I did some searching and found a local early model 260 I will be able to start my 302 project swap on. Someone started this and made an attempt at patching the floor and sealed some things up, but I'm thinking it might be best to just replace the whole floor than to trust the segments of lap welds. The project is influence by @Home Built by Jeff and RWB Jeff, as well as many others and I can't wait to dive both feet into it. More to come as I get the old car out of the garage and the new one in, but I guess at least I have a parts car now ?

20190908_134654.jpg

Edited by DC_Mike
  • Like 3

@grannyknot the Laine family page has is also a go to for me to setup the engine and transmission, that is such a gorgeous build. Planning on using the Apex Engineered suspension setup as well as I LOVE the look of the cantilever rear shocks in the back. I think that paired with the AGI roll cage (at least a copy of one made Stateside so I don't pay shipping from AUS) is going to be a kill combo. BUT I get ahead of myself, still have a lot of disassembly and some rust repair to start with :)

• Like 1

A rust free body has eluded me yet again. However this time I'm just going to have to dive in a start to work on it. It seems that under a crappy paint job there is some rust on the interior door jam/a pillar section. It looks like there are two layers of sheet metal there so this should be an interesting adventure. I'm going to get some interior pictures this weekend and will update as things go forward.

LOL, that you did Captain, that you did. It's going to be a learning process and a test of patience but it will go back together! Here's a general question. I'd gone some searching and their seem to be as many answers as there are people, but what are the opinions on the process of going about this. My plan is 1) Media Blast 2) Epoxy primer 4) Rust repair and at some point in there I need to fix the oil canning in the roof. I'm holding a bit till the humidity and weather drops around here, but i'll have to act fast before it gets below freezing. Thoughts?

21 hours ago, DC_Mike said:

A rust free body has eluded me yet again. However this time I'm just going to have to dive in a start to work on it. It seems that under a crappy paint job there is some rust on the interior door jam/a pillar section. It looks like there are two layers of sheet metal there so this should be an interesting adventure. I'm going to get some interior pictures this weekend and will update as things go forward.

On the A pillars there are a number of layers inside, some lay flat against one another, some attach in a corner and go diagonally across the pillar.  It can be one of the worst places on these cars to repair, if you suspect there is a lot of rust in there you'll have to cutout the flat section facing into the door, media blast everything in there and weld back new metal inside the pillar working your way out to the final layer.

By the time you are done you will be really good at it