IGNORED

4spd transmission synchroniszer early Z

Oceanzide

Hi,

I'm looking for brass synchronizers for my early 4spd. I found one that supposedly fits a 240 through 280 (1st though 4th). Are the synchronizers (1st through 4th) for early 4spd (1970 through mid 71) really the same as those in later transmissions?

Can anyone recommend a source?.

Thanks in advance!

We share the same transmission code - F4W71A (also known as the "Monkey Motion" shifter).  To the best of my knowledge, the rebuild kits for these Type A units are NLA.  That's why I have a type B unit from a parts car stashed in my garage in case my unit ever goes out.

A very, very long shot might be to identify each of the synchros by P/N and contact your local Nissan dealer to see if they might locate them somewhere.  The folks at Courtesy Parts (David and Butch) are good at running down scarce parts if they can be found.  Good luck!

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 1

Yes Zed Head, you're right! PN: 32604-P0100 (AKA: "RING-BAULK) Items 39 and 44 in schematic. (Apparently less than $10 at a "local" place).

I only read Jim's reply and started hunting for information. (After a couple of hours searching; also chasing our cat to give him meds) I stumbled across a large pdf with lots of part numbers. Would anyone be interested in the rest? (it's ~40M ). I included section 177 because it shows the Nissan publication number.

By the way, how do I delete a duplicate copy/pasted image?

Edit, thanks Z.H. BTW, I see the same microfiche publication "C-0010V" is already available under Resources tab.

image.png

Edited by Oceanzide
Remove image, add publication number
  • Like 3

Until last week I'd never heard of these folks, and I was ready to spend $20 EACH plus shipping, for 4 parts. Their website turned-up when I searched the part#.  NOTE: It's important to search the part#; using the home page Mfr/Year filter didn't show ANY parts for pre 1980 Zs. Also note, the web price (~$8 at this moment) is slightly higher than at the counter (see counter receipt below).. They said they also sell bearings.

I hope to drop F4W71A trans soon and promise to post-back regarding whether these actually work.?

https://www.anaheimgear.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=32604-P0100

32604-P0100.jpg

Edited by Oceanzide
Mention was ready to pay $20 EACH
  • Like 1

Don't just replace the synchros on the assumption that "new" is better.  I'd use the worn Nissan synchros over new inexpensive aftermarket if they're in spec.  There are several stories out there from people who put new aftermarket synchros in for a rebuild and didn't like the results.

I certainly would not spend time on the transmission if it was shifting well.

Years ago, my neighbor gave me a drum of 85W gear oil that he used in his Peterbilt.  Thinking all gear oil was the same, (and new was better) I put it in the Z transmission and differential. Now (20+ years later) it's a chore to get the trans into just about any gear but 2nd, and fast shifts are impossible.

Edited by Oceanzide

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is Great information. Now I need to find a good trans shop here in central Florida to go through it before I drop it in. Converting an automatic to manual. I found a complete drive train from a 83.