IGNORED

oil pump distributor drive tang orientation

kenward1000

72 240z.  Points were pitted, installed new points and condenser.  Static timed it at 0.020" points gap.  The car starts and runs.  Checked the dwell angle afterwards with my new Innova 5568.  Can't set dwell any more than 30 degrees where spec is 35-41.  I'm at the end of adjustment range with the eccentric screw in the points oval. 

Set up engine for TDC compression on #1 cylinder, both its valves are closed, timing cover pointer aligns with 0 notch on crank pulley.  Pulled the distributor to check the drive tang.  Looks to me like 12:30-6:30.  Is this the correct orientation?

IMG_5151.jpg

On 8/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, kenward1000 said:

72 240z.  Points were pitted, installed new points and condenser.  Static timed it at 0.020" points gap.  The car starts and runs.  Checked the dwell angle afterwards with my new Innova 5568.  Can't set dwell any more than 30 degrees where spec is 35-41.  I'm at the end of adjustment range with the eccentric screw in the points oval. 

Just noticed that you're kind of mixing timing with dwell with point gap.  Your distributor definitely seemed to be off, which would affect ability to set timing.  But dwell is a function of points gap.  Not really sure what "eccentric screw" means either.

Not a biggy, just makes you wonder.

This is my first points replacement so there could be confustion.  Now that I've got the distributor drive tang oriented correctly, I'm going to set the points gap at 0.020" by rotating the eccentric screw in the cutout, in the points plate.  This will initially set the dwell angle.

For initial timing, going to use the 12vdc lamp with two alligator clips, to rotate the distributor itself.  Going for 10 degrees.

After I've got it running going to use the Innova 5568 to check for dwell angle within the stock limits.  Finally going to check for timing within the stock limits.

Or should I be initially setting the timing before initially setting up the points gap/dwell angle?  Innova says set dwell first.