IGNORED

installing fuel tank into 71 240z Q

kenward1000

After I bought my 71 240z, had fuel overflow problems.  Discovered there's no expansion tank and the fuel tank itself is from a 75-76 280z.  Sourced a good 240z fuel tank and the correct plastic expansion tank.  Fabricated the hoses, now trying to install the tank.  Seems like the plastic filler neck is not quite lining up correctly with the fuel tank.  Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Can't locate the owner who did the swap.  Wondering if fitting the 280z tank required a 280z filler neck.  I see there are unique filler necks for 240/260 and 280.  Is there a way to tell the difference, so I'll know if the filler neck is why the tank doesn't quite line up?

Thanks for reading this post!

I believe the necks are indeed different. 

However, you are holding a unicorn in your hands if you have a good 75/76 EFI fuel tank! They are very rare and you should be able to resell that very easily for anyone looking for a full size tank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenward1000 said:

After I bought my 71 240z, had fuel overflow problems.  Discovered there's no expansion tank and the fuel tank itself is from a 75-76 280z.  Sourced a good 240z fuel tank and the correct plastic expansion tank.  Fabricated the hoses, now trying to install the tank.  Seems like the plastic filler neck is not quite lining up correctly with the fuel tank.  Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Can't locate the owner who did the swap.  Wondering if fitting the 280z tank required a 280z filler neck.  I see there are unique filler necks for 240/260 and 280.  Is there a way to tell the difference, so I'll know if the filler neck is why the tank doesn't quite line up?

Thanks for reading this post!

Most people want the 76 tank because it makes going EFI easier. Which I believe you mentioned as your plan for the future

This morning tried to remove the plastic filler neck, take it downtown to Z Car Garage for identification.  Can't figure out how to remove it w/o cutting it in half!  

From the images, can anyone confirm that the plastic filler neck is a 240/260 part vs a 280 part?

Thanks

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

The older those fill tubes get, the harder they get.  Old ones are very hard to work with.  When installing the tank, usually I put it on a small board with cloth over it and SLOWLY lift the tank into place using a floor jack.  The most important thing is to align the filler tube with the tank opening once they are close.  Put the collar of filler tube around tank opening at this time.  DON'T forget the clamp!  As you slowly lift the tank, carefully feed the vent hoses through their openings as you lift.  Attach all hoses before you lift into place as they are very hard to access once tank is installed.  Should be two hoses toward the rear of car and one in front of tank (goes to vapor tank).  That is the process I use.

Edited by motorman7

Thanks for the clarification!  Good to know that I don't have to remove/replace the plastic filler tube.  I'll go back to trying to fit the tank fill neck into the filler tube.  The car is on jack stands with the passenger side rear wheel removed.  Have a motorcycle scissors jack under a tank-sized plywood sheet, then a layer of cardboard to protect the fresh powder coat.

All vent hoses are connected to the tank and routed into the body.  Thanks for the tip on connecting the fuel filler tube!