U-Joint Locking Clips - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

U-Joint Locking Clips

Featured Replies

Forgive my ignorance, but aren’t the retaining clips supposed to be visible from outside the shaft.  They’re all capped like the one in the photo I guess.

any advice?

1304ADAD-BF9D-4855-AB53-1C15DA49D826.jpeg

Nissan used internal clips.  Similar concept except the groove is in the u-joint bearing cap.  It's an external circlip instead of internal.  On the other side of that yoke in your picture.

Don't get them mixed up if you plan to reuse the u-joints.  They are precisely ground and come in various thicknesses.  Nissan u-joints are very durable, high precision pieces.  Better than new aftermarket, in my opinion.

If you rebuild the halfshafts. Replace the hose clamp with the original aluminium straps or a wide sectioned plastic Ty-rap.

That hose clamp will add to any balance issues you might had. It won't be a lot, and you probably won't notice it, but all these small vibrations add up. 

  • Author

Thanks! I found them under the grime. I have two follow-up questions:

  1. do I have to remove all four clips or just one from each axis?  I was able to remove one on each side, but the other two aren’t budging...I didn’t really try too hard yet.  (I did get all eight out, but still curious)
  2. when I press them out, do I press on what looks like the end caps as shown in the pic above?  My guess is those are the actual ends of the of the bearing, so I would press there.

you advice is really appreciated.

Edited by wadelester
Clarity.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

You need to remove all of the clips.  I think.  It becomes clear as you press the joints out.

You do press on the end caps but you really need a good fixture to do it right.  Sometimes people bend the yokes trying replace the u-joints, then the whole half-shaft might be ruined.  If you're near an auto shop they might press them out for you for a small fee and it might be worth it.  They can be very very tight.  I had to use heat on mine to get some of them out.

It's a simple job in concept but difficult in practice.

Edited by Zed Head

  • Author

Thanks @Zed Hed I pressed one out and now can’t get it out of the yolk...arghh.

it doesn’t seem to have enough clearance.

also, on the flange side it’s tapered so it won’t lay flat in the press.  Do you have a trick for that?

Lastly, is there a specific order and specific side I need to press them out so they can clear the yolk?568D2C63-5328-46E5-9A1B-521DC1CD3CEC.jpeg

746A9FD2-20A8-4EF0-A185-91E3ACD877A0.jpeg

Edited by wadelester

 Keep pushing on it until the cap on the other side can be removed. If the u-joint has a zerk fitting, it may have to be removed for clearance.

  • Author

The other side is clear of the yolk.  How do I remove the cap?  Vice grips?  Tap on edges?

  • Author

Ok I figured it out.  I got the outside end cap off and then pushed it back through the other side.  Is that the way to do it?

Yes, press one side clear, remove the ca. Then the other side should tilt some more and be clear or the cap can come off. Then it will come out of the yoke.

 Some brands of u-joints will allow you to remove both caps after you've pressed one out. Other brands will necessitate pressing the joint the other direction to remove the other cap from the outside like the first one. Although I've never compared the two I suspect the difference is in the outer dimensions of the cross. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.