IGNORED

U-Joint Locking Clips

HappyZ

Nissan used internal clips.  Similar concept except the groove is in the u-joint bearing cap.  It's an external circlip instead of internal.  On the other side of that yoke in your picture.

Don't get them mixed up if you plan to reuse the u-joints.  They are precisely ground and come in various thicknesses.  Nissan u-joints are very durable, high precision pieces.  Better than new aftermarket, in my opinion.

If you rebuild the halfshafts. Replace the hose clamp with the original aluminium straps or a wide sectioned plastic Ty-rap.

That hose clamp will add to any balance issues you might had. It won't be a lot, and you probably won't notice it, but all these small vibrations add up. 

• Like 1

Thanks! I found them under the grime. I have two follow-up questions:

1. do I have to remove all four clips or just one from each axis?  I was able to remove one on each side, but the other two aren’t budging...I didn’t really try too hard yet.  (I did get all eight out, but still curious)
  2. when I press them out, do I press on what looks like the end caps as shown in the pic above?  My guess is those are the actual ends of the of the bearing, so I would press there.

you advice is really appreciated.

Edited by wadelester
Clarity.

You need to remove all of the clips.  I think.  It becomes clear as you press the joints out.

You do press on the end caps but you really need a good fixture to do it right.  Sometimes people bend the yokes trying replace the u-joints, then the whole half-shaft might be ruined.  If you're near an auto shop they might press them out for you for a small fee and it might be worth it.  They can be very very tight.  I had to use heat on mine to get some of them out.

It's a simple job in concept but difficult in practice.

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks @Zed Hed I pressed one out and now can’t get it out of the yolk...arghh.

it doesn’t seem to have enough clearance.

also, on the flange side it’s tapered so it won’t lay flat in the press.  Do you have a trick for that?

Lastly, is there a specific order and specific side I need to press them out so they can clear the yolk?568D2C63-5328-46E5-9A1B-521DC1CD3CEC.jpeg

746A9FD2-20A8-4EF0-A185-91E3ACD877A0.jpeg

Edited by wadelester

Some brands of u-joints will allow you to remove both caps after you've pressed one out. Other brands will necessitate pressing the joint the other direction to remove the other cap from the outside like the first one. Although I've never compared the two I suspect the difference is in the outer dimensions of the cross.