IGNORED

Advice for selling

grannyknot

So when is the best time to sell a Z?  I guess it isn't late July or Aug., or is everybody so well connected these days with their phones that the summer lull doesn't exist anymore?

Just finished the 280z I have been working on so time to put it up on the block to fund the next project( I still have the 240z and will never sell it)

The selling venue, ebay is where I sold my first 240 and although the guy who bought it was a bit of a nightmare I did pretty well on it.  BaT is hot these days but they always want a low reserve to ensure a sale and it doesn't happen very often but I have seen guys in the peanut gallery go on about some imagined fault to the point of wrecking the sellers auction by planting doubt with possible buyers.  Any suggestions or coments?

Thanks

Talk to Hank.  I recommend "Hemmings".  Prestigious,  lots of photos, and a long selling period. https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?makeFacet=Datsun&modelFacet=280Z&adtypeFacet=carsforsale&year_min=&year_max=

BAT seems popular but not sure if cars in Canada sell easy.

For best time, with 50th anniversary of the Z coming up, the whole year will be hot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned, I sold the silver 71 Z restomod through Hemmings to a great buyer in Houston. The on-line version allows for loads of space to describe your ride, as well as multiple pics. 

Good luck with the sale.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Hey Hank, I didn't know you were on here.  Yes, Hemmings is a venue I hadn't considered, just had a look and was impressed. Does anyone know about the Hemmings auctions?  There is an area to submit your car for auction but no real auctions going on that I can find.

You get 35 full size photos with the online ad but only 5 photos with the auction?  If I just go with the online ad then I have to come up with a solid price:confused:

There is a fall in Auburn Indiana each labor day.  About 3-4 years ago a '73 went on the block for around $25.   That was a high price for that period.  Plus it was brown with excessive sanding marks in it.  You could drive there.

I should also point out that the auction is very large.  About 3 days long. 

Edited by 87mj
additional info

Chris, I don't believe that the Hemmings auctions have started yet. They announced that they were coming soon and the details look very similar to the BAT auction site. 

There's an auction for a  77 280Z on the BAT site that ends today - it may give you an idea what such an auction brings for $$$$. You can also go through the Hemmings listings for similar Zs as yours and arrive at a selling price for your Z for the on-line add. Remember, when selling , we northern folk get an advantage with the dollar exchange. Not so much when we want to buy.

cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hank240 said:

There's an auction for a  77 280Z on the BAT site that ends today - it may give you an idea what such an auction brings for $$$$.

Was very glad to see the owner was allowed to have a higher reserve, I think it got to $14k which isn't near enough for that beautiful 280.

27 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Was very glad to see the owner was allowed to have a higher reserve, I think it got to $14k which isn't near enough for that beautiful 280.

Is that car from someone from the site? It looks like someones avatar picture