IGNORED

L28 4 speed swap 240z

240zSean

Hello, this is my first topic and I would like some help on my current project. I recently bought a 71’ 240z and I am planning on engine swapping an L28 w/ 4 speed that I also plan to turbo in the near future. I have a couple questions. 1. What driveshaft would I use for this conversion. Would I use a 240z driveshaft or should I use the 280z driveshaft? (I’m not sure if my Z is series 1 or 2 at the moment) 2. When turbo charging an NA L28 what components should I upgrade and what additional parts do I NEED. I’m on a tight budget so don’t tell me I need the most expensive parts. (Have a $1500-$2000 budget for the engine)

7 hours ago, 240zSean said:

Hello, this is my first topic and I would like some help on my current project. I recently bought a 71’ 240z and I am planning on engine swapping an L28 w/ 4 speed that I also plan to turbo in the near future. I have a couple questions. 1. What driveshaft would I use for this conversion. Would I use a 240z driveshaft or should I use the 280z driveshaft? (I’m not sure if my Z is series 1 or 2 at the moment) 2. When turbo charging an NA L28 what components should I upgrade and what additional parts do I NEED. I’m on a tight budget so don’t tell me I need the most expensive parts. (Have a $1500-$2000 budget for the engine)

You are better off money wise just sourcing a donor 280zx turbo. It's a much easier starting point.Take whatever drivetrain pieces you need. You will also be better off with the early 280z EFI fuel tank, which are getting scarce. I can't answer the driveshaft question. I figure that out once the swap is done. Maybe some one will know off the top of their head...

The propeller shaft won't be a problem. The splines are the same on all the 4 speeds and 5 speed transmissions including the ZX models. The transmission length is the same. The Type A transmisiions are about 1/16" shorter if I recall correctly. It is so small a difference it doesn't matter.

You say you have a 71. At about 10/71 maybe a month earlier they changed the transmission from Type A to the Type B.

The Type A has a detatchable bellhousing (3 piece transmission housing). The Type B has an intergrated bellhousing with the front section of the transmission (2 piece transmission housing). This is not the problem though. The main concern is the shifter and where it comes through the floor. The shifter on the B transmission will hit the floor when you try to use 1st, 3rd and 5th, if it is a 5 speed. The shifter will need modifying to clear the floor.

As for the turbo mod. I'm with Patcaon. You would be better off looking for a rusted out 280ZX turbo and transplant that. Turbo is not my field, but I would think your budget is a little low. Anything goes wrong......

4 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

The propeller shaft won't be a problem. The splines are the same on all the 4 speeds and 5 speed transmissions including the ZX models. The transmission length is the same. The Type A transmisiions are about 1/16" shorter if I recall correctly. It is so small a difference it doesn't matter.

You say you have a 71. At about 10/71 maybe a month earlier they changed the transmission from Type A to the Type B.

The Type A has a detatchable bellhousing (3 piece transmission housing). The Type B has an intergrated bellhousing with the front section of the transmission (2 piece transmission housing). This is not the problem though. The main concern is the shifter and where it comes through the floor. The shifter on the B transmission will hit the floor when you try to use 1st, 3rd and 5th, if it is a 5 speed. The shifter will need modifying to clear the floor.

As for the turbo mod. I'm with Patcaon. You would be better off looking for a rusted out 280ZX turbo and transplant that. Turbo is not my field, but I would think your budget is a little low. Anything goes wrong......

Thank you for this. However for the motor, L28et’s are way more expensive then just plain old L28’s in my area. Also on top of this, if you find an L28et for a good price in my area you have to look at the perfect time and buy it fast no questions asked or else it’ll be gone the next day. I found an L28 for $300 near me where as the cheapest L28et and transmission near me has been $1k

1 hour ago, 240zSean said:

Thank you for this. However for the motor, L28et’s are way more expensive then just plain old L28’s in my area. Also on top of this, if you find an L28et for a good price in my area you have to look at the perfect time and buy it fast no questions asked or else it’ll be gone the next day. I found an L28 for $300 near me where as the cheapest L28et and transmission near me has been $1k

L28et and tranny is cheap at $1000. You will have way more than that in it trying to go turbo on an L28. You also need the L28et harness and computer or a standalone efi system. Stand alone costs more. Its just easier to buy a rusted out or crashed 280zx turbo and go from there. Unless you want big power, but big power can cost BIG. Watch Copart for a donor...

On 7/20/2019 at 11:13 AM, 240zSean said:

I recently bought a 71’ 240z and I am planning on engine swapping an L28 w/ 4 speed

Better check your ratios.  Might want a diff also.  Or keep the 71 4 speed for a while.