IGNORED

Tips/tricks for removing windshield

Sure:

1. Cut out the original rubber seal as much as you can before taking out the old glass.  First cut out above the glass so that the edge is exposed then get a knife blade behind the glass to free it.  Do all around before lifting.
  2. Remove all old seal and sealant.  Address any rust on the pinch weld
  3. Install new seal on new glass
  4. Install stainless steel trim
  5. Fit weed wacker monofilament line inside seal where the pinch weld will go
  6. Fit glass into position with 2 helpers (1 inside and 2 outside)
  7. Inside person slowly pulls line while outer two push/gently hit glass into place. Start from middle of bottom (or top) and work outward to both sides evenly.
  8. Optional: Once fitted, use a long nosed tube of silicone to place sealant between glass and seal
  9. Optional: Once fitted, use a long nosed tube of silicone to place sealant between body and seal

Tips:

1. Watch some glass installs on Youtube where they use a cord/rope
  2. Use a spray bottle of soapy water as a lubricant
Edited by 240260280
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beware of most autoglass companies... I've heard of many sad results.

Find one that can do the trim and has experience.

• One guy in the club just had the glass installed by the experts who would not install the metal trim
  • Another just had the experts install and tear up the rubber when installing the metal trim

Boston has a great Zclub.... find someone there who can do it or recommend a careful installer.

Want to install the trim on this?

image.png

This one got torn ?

image.png

Edited by 240260280

38 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

Call a windshield glass installer.

I've heard nothing but bad things this way. My uncle is an auto body tech has been for years hes going to help me get it in or out but I figured I'd ask people who have done it to my car specifically

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Beware of most autoglass companies... I've heard of many sad results.

Find one that can do the trim and has experience.

• One guy in the club just had the glass installed by the experts who would not install the metal trim
  • Another just had the experts install and tear up the rubber when installing the metal trim

Boston has a great Zclub.... find someone there who can do it or recommend a careful installer.

Is there a Boston z club Facebook page or anything? I cant type of datsun group from the Boston area I'd love if someone could point me in the right direction

3 hours ago, Cameron McDonald said:

I've heard nothing but bad things this way. My uncle is an auto body tech has been for years hes going to help me get it in or out but I figured I'd ask people who have done it to my car specifically

Not many of the old guys left that know how to do separate seal, glass and trim, window guys now just glue them in.  The most experienced Z window installers are members right here.

• Like 1

Ok, I figured just the opposite!  I figured you would be much more likely to end up with a broken windshield if you tried to do it yourself without knowing what you are doing or not having done it before, successfully.  Point well taken about younger glass technicians.