IGNORED

Clutch squeal when running

CaptainMajestic

Hi everyone,

been scratching my head over this one. I recently rebuilt my engine (+ all new seals), and while I was at it I went ahead and replaced my pilot bushing, throwout bearing, clutch, etc. and everything ran fine for several weeks. Suddenly, now the clutch squeaks any time I press it in when the engine running, but not when the engine is off. I've read online this sound is common with a bad pilot bushing, but this one is brand new? 

Video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r7FSh6LizfamRN5D9

74 260z with L28 + Round Tops and 4 speed tranny.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I finally got around to pulling the transmission and it is for sure the throwout bearing. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A2JWfv9DEgBtSZQa7 For evidence of catastrophic failure. 

Anyone know which direction the bearing is supposed to be pressed in? I have a feeling it put in backwards.

Thanks!

-Michael  

Update:

By using the power of deduction I have determined that the bearing was probably pressed on backwards and therefore, once again, I am a total dumbass. The basic reasoning being around the throwout bearing is designed to press against the clutch spring and the shape of each side of the throwout bearing have different behaviors. If the side where the center is more pronounced faces the clutch, then the clutch springs can dig in and cause the entire thing to evaporate. If the side where the outer edge is more pronounced faces the clutch then the previous case cannot occur. 

• Like 1