IGNORED

F54/P79 Swap Project

CO, great thread but 1/2 off it is going straight over my head. I’ll need some babysitting on the whole drilling of the cam sprocket that I failed to understand.
I was going to pull my oil galleys and tap and put in brass hex nuts back in. Seems fairly straight forward and the NPT Hex Plugs are on Zcardepot. Why are you not considering it? I guess I see it as an opportunity to make sure it’s all the funk will get cleaned out when it goes to the hot tank.

https://zcardepot.com/products/pipe-plug-npt-1-4-3-8-oil-passage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2 cents. Not sure why all the offset drilling/ bushing stuff . I’m betting the stock timing could be achievable with just advancing the sprocket , or at least be close enough. That gives you 8 degrees in hole 3. My 2.4 was shaved .050 and ran 8 degrees valve timing advance . You could always go another tooth for more . 

Worst case scenario is your rpm  power band would be somewhat off from stock.

madkaw, Yes, All the discussion about the drilling and offset bushing stuff is premature.

Don't know yet if it'll be necessary, but I was just confirming that I can do it if I have to. Stock stretch holes may be good enough, but I have the means to achieve finer degrees of accuracy if necessary.

11 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I’ll need some babysitting on the whole drilling of the cam sprocket that I failed to understand.
I was going to pull my oil galleys and tap and put in brass hex nuts back in.

Don't worry about the cam gear stuff going over your head. I'll draw you some pics next time we get together. We got you covered.

About the oil galley plugs... It's just one more thing that if I didn't have to mess with, I was hoping to leave it be. I am a little worried about the hot tank not being able to thoroughly get to that area if I don't pull them though. Maybe I should just pull them. I think I'll wait until my motor is on a stand over at GGR's shop.

We're gonna have two of them sitting next to eachother as they're being built. Would be extra cool to have three of them in a row you know......   :cool:

Thanks, if I end up driving up there for work next month I’m going to bring the head a block. But it only gives us 2.5 days and I will be flying from 8am to 6pm. So it might be tough unless your will do do it while I’m working?

11 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Thanks, if I end up driving up there for work next month I’m going to bring the head a block. But it only gives us 2.5 days and I will be flying from 8am to 6pm. So it might be tough unless your will do do it while I’m working?

Well I'd be happy to do the motor work for you, but I feel like it's something you want to do yourself. Isn't that the case?

Well I'd be happy to do the motor work for you, but I feel like it's something you want to do yourself. Isn't that the case?

I guess it all depends on what we’re doing. I’ll be there but it’s not until the afternoons. I don’t have a lot of Gucci tools at my house like you guys and I really don’t have any experience in this region. So the more help the better. I’d be the guy that messes the crank keyhole like on the other post.

1 minute ago, Av8ferg said:

I’d be the guy that messes the crank keyhole like on the other post.

LOL!!   We'll make sure that doesn't happen!!

Let's phone tomorrow and see if this could work. I think we're cutting it too close time-wise. I don't think we're going to have all the parts by the time you're up here.