IGNORED

Engine pulleys

tom231

Good day, Tom here again.  In looking in the engine bay, I see the lower belt attached to the lower pulleys, ie...for the fan?,  BUT there are some pulleys at the top of the engine bay and they do not have a belt on them.

This is a dealer installed AC car, when new in 1970, are those pulleys somehow involved with the AC?

The AC system, I see the refrigerant lines going into a small looking black canister on the passenger side.  Not sure if that would be the condenser.  It is pretty small, ie...5 or 6 inches long and around 4 or so inches round.

Thanks for your help!   Tom

The early A/C units typically had a York compressor attached to a frame that surrounded the fuel pump.  There would have been an idler pulley installed at the top of the engine to adjust the belt tension.  The canister you describe is probably the Freon tank.  Your crankshaft pulley should have an additional (3rd) pulley attached to it for the A/C belt.

Edited by jfa.series1

Thanks  jfa!!  Bingo on that being the freon tank.  I need to look for the compressor??

They May have been taken it off??  It had been owned by the original seller for 46 years.  Maybe that is why the missing belt??   Do you know where I could get an original/possibly NOS York compressor?

Thanks again for your time and expertise!!

Tom

If the frame around the fuel pump is missing, it may be difficult to get back to the York compressor - a member on this site might have one.  Honestly, they were really heavy and not that efficient.  A better choice would be a more modern unit such as a Sanden or similar.  These units install where the air pump is located - you would have to permanently remove the air pump.  The compressor bracket from a 280Z or other models (fellow members can chip in here) will be used.  If you  are determined to remain totally stock and keep the air pump, then the York may be your only choice.  Not sure if they are still available but a A/C shop or online search could likely tell you.  A old York style might only use R12 refrigerant and not the later R134a, that needs to be a consideration.

I have all that Yorx crap in my storage building.  It was dealer installed in 1972 but I would consider getting rid of it or whatever parts you may need.  I'd go with a newer Gen Air system.

EDIT: Vintage Air has the Gen system.  Sanden is good from all I've read like Mr Arnett mentioned above.

DSC00436.JPGDSC00478.JPG

Edited by siteunseen
  • Haha 1

If you decide to go with the old style York, you'll end up with something like this:  https://tinyurl.com/yxl96a3o

You'll have a "state of the art" 1970 A/C system and all the drama that goes with it.  Jim and Cliff offered good advice to go with a new style rotary compressor.  I have the new style on my Z and all removed components of the old 1971 York set-up sit in the garage.  Good while it lasted, but soooo last century.

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys!!

Below are a couple pictures under the hood.  The first one shows the passenger side area.  I see the Freon hoses that jfa mentioned.  Shouldn’t the compressor be in this area?

The next one shows the upper pulleys.  There is not a belt that engages either one of those upper pulleys???

Thanks again for all your help!!  Tom

5CBC51D1-1FD3-4158-A1E2-E3B20C542C8D.jpeg

F8886CEE-C795-438C-AF4A-C7AB716A827C.jpeg

2 hours ago, tom231 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a75e82998c691b20Thanks guys!!

Below are a couple pictures under the hood.  The first one shows the passenger side area.  I see the Freon hoses that jfa mentioned.  Shouldn’t the compressor be in this area?

The next one shows the upper pulleys.  There is not a belt that engages either one of those upper pulleys???

Thanks again for all your help!!  Tom

5CBC51D1-1FD3-4158-A1E2-E3B20C542C8D.jpeg

F8886CEE-C795-438C-AF4A-C7AB716A827C.jpeg

Go back to @siteunseen pics.  The top one shows the typical single idler pulley, the second shows the York compressor - its difficult to make out the bracket but its there.  For reasons unknown, your car has a second idler pulley close to the fuel pump but the bracket and compressor are gone.  Belt and suspenders???  As Cliff says, it makes no difference because the tin-can fuel pump would prohibit installation of the York mounting bracket.  Recommendation: remove the two idler pulleys from  your engine and start with a clean install of a late model A/C system - you really need it down in H-town.  Just my $0.02 worth.

PS - good looking engine compartment! 

• Like 1