IGNORED

Engine Dampers

tom231

Mark-Tom here agin!

Below is a pic I took, ie...first one is fluid out of the damper second is off my engine dip stick. 

Also. a quick question.

My master brake cylinder reservoirs, the smaller reservoir  is almost empty, can I use DOT 3 fluid in there and be on my way??   thanks again!  Tom

D8174DCD-E56E-47D7-8DE5-8F668094D5C0.jpeg

6 minutes ago, tom231 said:

Mark-Tom here agin!

Below is a pic I took, ie...first one is fluid out of the damper second is off my engine dip stick. 

Also. a quick question.

My master brake cylinder reservoirs, the smaller reservoir  is almost empty, can I use DOT 3 fluid in there and be on my way??   thanks again!  Tom

D8174DCD-E56E-47D7-8DE5-8F668094D5C0.jpeg

Steve gave you pretty good advise on the brake fluid before. If it were me I would use a DOT 3/4 compatible fluid. It won't surprise me if you have a leak somewhere. Many times a number of us are reading these threads but we don't get involved if you have already been given good advise

Mark, I wouldn't pull the carbs apart to get the old oil out. I just roll paper towels into a narrow cylinder and stick them down into the damper hole to soak up the old oil. Give it a few minutes to sop up the oil and then pull the paper out. Takes two or three rounds of paper wads to get the old stuff out.

Taking the pistons out and turning them over to dump the oil out certainly works, but I consider it a risky maneuver with very little gain over just keeping them together and sponging it out instead.

Respectively submitted, of course.   :beer:

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 2

I totally understand and agree. Long ago I used a turkey baster (No I didn't ask, Yes I caught Hell months later) and a piece of rubber tubing. My thought was, now would be a good time to clean up the internals a bit and lay hands on the subject of the discussion.

5 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I wouldn't pull the carbs apart to get the old oil out.

Agree,  Get a (empty old) handsoap pump and pump the most out... ( i Always use this when i renew the brakefluid! ..  you take the pump out of the bottle and pump the fluid into the same bottle.. this way you don't make a mess with that brakefluid (or in your case the oil))

(When doing the brakes then you don't have to pump all the oil through the system and you can start with a container full of clean brakefluid.) ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1