IGNORED

HVAC duct hose-78 280Z

One Way

The 40 year old duct hoses are pretty deteriorated.  Best suggestions for replacements?  I am finding some 2" duct hose from DORMAN #96034 which looks more like the duct hose for the heat exchange from exhaust manifolds from older vehicles.  Helpful suggestions always welcome.  The resurrection project is slowly marching on.  I will have a little more spare time the next few months now that school is over and my babysitting duties are done until the middle of August when our daughter returns to her teaching job.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC

One Way, I'm not sure if it's the same for the '78Z, but my '75Z has two sizes of hoses, 2" and 1.5" (approx.).  For the 2" hoses, I used the Dorman 96002 Blower Fan Hose.  For the 1.5" hose, which goes to the footwell vents, I used the Dayco 80165 Autoflex Defroster Duct Hose.  I hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thank you so much!  It is always great to get part numbers with the suggestions.  My 78 also has a smaller diameter hose that was barely there when disassembled and I think it was 1.25.  I am going out to the garage right now and  see if I can quickly locate the duct and measure it accurately.  I know the part is in the box with the other disassembled pieces.  Thanks again for the great help, John-Lugoff, SC

Thanks again!  This diagram looks a bit different than my memory, but then again my memory is not always accurate.  It would be reference #4 or #10.  Not sure if your 1975 is identical to my 1978 but many of the illustrated parts look very similar.  Is that the factory parts illustration you have?  I was using CARPARTSMANUAL, especially when I was working on our 1968 2000 roadster for parts illustrations and numbers but on my last check on that website it came up with some CRITICAL ERROR ALERT and was not able to access the website which also had the Z cars, 510, and some other Datsun vintage vehicles.  I am quite a computer dummy when it comes to navigating, downloading, etc.  I guess I am a dinosaur and still prefer a paper copy in hand.  Thanks again, John.  I will be researching and tracking down those part # you provided if time permits today.

Perhaps my storage bin(s) full of dash ducting hose might finally find a purpose in life.  Let me know if you can't find suitable replacements,

BTW, vintage air has some pretty nice duct hose you buy. I know they have 2" at least.

Thanks for the great replies.  Did a bit of parts research and have come up with some GATES # at a much better price than the Dorman or Dayco.  Gates #23832 is the 2".  Gates # 23820 is the 1-1/4".  I should have those by this Friday and will keep everybody posted about the GATES duct hoses.  The pictures and descriptions do not give any details except the I.D. and the 6 ft length they come in.  About 1/3 the price of the other suppliers.  DAYCO does list the #80165 as 1-1/4 I.D.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC.

The GATES # are correct.  They are quite a rare commodity.  Both boxes are actually labeled-MADE IN THE USA.  Hopefully that includes the contents, not just the box.  Being in the retail auto parts business, it is quite discouraging to see how few parts are actually made in the USA.  GATES #23832 is the 2" ID.  GATES #23820 is the 1-1/4" ID.  Both come in 6 ft lengths.  Both are listed in our company's catalog system under defrost hose.  Thanks again for the responses.  I am doing my best to keep the resurrection process going on the 78Z, John-Lugoff, SC.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

You won't find those on an early, but my 260Z has those outlets. (had. I have them but they're not currently installed) and my son's '76 280Z has them. Both are factory A/C cars. I don't think those are installed on Bob's '75 280Z museum car. It doesn't have factory A/C. 

• Thanks 1