IGNORED

1978 280z chevy 350 Restomod

emerica243

Hello All, 

So I recently purchased a 1978 280z. This is my first Z and really my first old car in general. It has had a bunch of modifications to it already from a guy in California who is an apparent Z collector \ restorer. With that bein said I have ideas, dreams, etc to do with this car. Im moderately mechicanically savy and pretty decent in the electrical \ retrofitting and engineering fields. With that being said, the car does need some work but has most of the essentials. Im looking for some help, direction, known impediments or problems to let me know what i should expect to be up against with this project. 

It has had the following done so far...

Chevy mild build 350 SBC v8 swap
holly carb
cams, headers, ignition
350 trans with shift kit
hurst ratchet shifter
Everything has been rewired to switches or button (Ignition, turn signals, headlights, etc)

My plans are the following...

Interior needs a good bit of stuff replaced like the dash, panels, door upholstry etc, shifter boot, etc.
I need to get a new windshield as its cracked.
Body seems good, no rust however one floor rail is bad and probably needs replaced. Ive heard bad dog rails should work?
Speedo i think just needs a cable, most other guages work. 
Im looking to install some sort of gas guage

With all that being said, and i havent had time to browse this site thoroughly yet, im wondering on where to start looking to get these parts, what to expect, etc etc. Will post pics when i get home from work. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by emerica243

Welcome to the group!  Looks like you've got a good basis to build from and the start of a plan.  You mentioned installing "some sort of gas gauge".  Is your gauge missing, inop, inaccurate?    Could just be the wiring to the fuel tank sender if inoperative.  Tell us more and good luck with the project.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,  this is exactly the type of information i was looking for. I actually  need to double check the guage, it looks like there is a red fuel light\button thing in the middle console im guessing thats "supposed" to light up if fuel is low, assuming all sensors are working. 

5 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

sounds like the guy in bev hills. He has a lot of Z cars that come up on ebay, I seem to recall a car like the one you describe.

LOL you are right. Hopefully thats not bad news lol

On 6/6/2019 at 9:16 AM, emerica243 said:

im wondering on where to start looking to get these parts, what to expect, etc etc. 

Motorsport and ZCar Depot are good starting points.  I have a combination switch if you want to go back to the factory light setup.  Somebody probably has some window cranks to replace the vise-grips.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/forum/93-vendor-marketplace/

image.png

• Like 1