26th-Z

Her Majesty the 26th

Very cool and thanks for sharing a little bit of history.  Looking forward to watching the restoration.  👍

• Like 1

To make this "build thread' complete, I should rewind for a moment and discuss how I got to this point.  Much of this has been posted before, buried in the archives somewhere.

I bought 26th in 1984 from the estate of the original owner.  Rob bought the car new from a local Datsun dealer and I remember when he bought it.  26th was imported in Jacksonville Florida and delivered in May, 1970.  When Rob passed away, his son who is a very close friend asked me if I wanted to buy the car from the estate.  I drove 26th for several years and decided to do this restore after dealing with rust issues on two separate occasions.  She was literally rusting from the inside out and major work was needed.

There is a place in Wachula, Florida that provides a complete rust removal process called reverse electrolysis.  The body shell is immersed in a big tank with electrodes and a sacrificial anode to remove all the iron oxides resulting in bare, rust free, metal.

SilverPenneybody.jpg

• Like 2

Then the welding started.  What was once rust was just a hole in the metal and 26th got new floors, one new frame rail, dog leg rocker panels, and some other areas.

7-2-05_Genuine Nissan0001.jpg

6-18-05_0002.jpg

7-2-05_BatteryTray0001.jpg

7-2-05_FrameRail0001.jpg

• Like 1

To insure that the interior chassis areas would not start rusting again, etching primer was sprayed inside the body panels with a garden pump sprayer and a long plastic wand.  All the seams had to be sealed.  The complete body had to be wiped down with a metal prep etching wash.  This was all done on a lift.

SeamSeal_4-0705.jpg

SeamSeal_4-070001.jpg

SeamSeal_4-070002.jpg

SeamSeal_4-070003.jpg

SeamSeal_4-070004.jpg

• Like 2

Finally the whole chassis was sprayed in a continuous primer.  I started to place the sound deadening "tar mat" sections, but didn't like the material and that's about the time that the economy fell on it's ear and my income went to hell.

Primer_2-26-06_001.jpg

Primer_2-26-06_002.jpg

• Like 2

The engine is going back together without the emission control hardware.  I have an exhaust manifold without the air injection ports and the non-emission intake manifold.  I happen to really like the Hitachi carburetor design, have worked with them during my British car SU days and will use Z-Therapy rebuilds (perhaps slightly modified).  I decided to paint my valve cover wrinkle black as a throw-back to my racing days.

I'll post more pictures of other completed components soon.  I have to start taking pictures!

Wrinkle.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chris, thanks for sharing your pictures, I am looking forward to seeing your cars assembled. 

What plans do you have for Her Majesty interior trim ? Tan , or black ? 

Kats

Thank you for sharing all of this @26th-Z and kudos to you for making the car your own.  I know some would run moan and groan about not making it 100% stock when you have everything to do so.  However, no matter how rare or low the VIN, these cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed.  Everything you are doing will make it a fun car to drive.  Plus, if you ever wanted to return it to 100% stock, you could.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Hi Chris.  

Glad to hear your plans for 26th and 27th are finally back on track.  As you may know, I had 

reproduced, along with others, the red mastervac decals being sold by Motorsport and Banzai.

More recently I  have made the earlier ‘69-‘70  mastervac decal, also very nice and yet to be offered for sale.

let me know if they would be of interest to you.

the second  photo is an original decal, the first, my reproduction.  Colors, not well illustrated in

the photos, are very accurate.

Dan

5E7DAE4A-C054-4B48-98D4-500A05AD2A1B.jpeg

A466F112-4F56-4595-AD74-724177F8F221.jpeg

Edited by AZ-240z
  • Like 3

Hey Chris,

Glad to hear things are looking up for you and you are getting back to working on your cars.  The body on 26th looks like it is coming along nicely!

Marty