IGNORED

Blower Motor Upgrade - Not a Honda

jfa.series1

So I finally remembered to look at the VDO PM9196 that I have waiting to go into the 260Z. I already put one in the 240Z without trimming. I guess I'll find out if it's different with the 260Z. As I mentioned before, the holes need to be enlarged to line up better with the 240Z housing.

The squirrel cage measures 5.75 inches in diameter.

image.png

Side view

image.png

Outside

image.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Well, you don't want the original motor OR the original squirrel cage.  That's the point. With the Kia blower both are an upgrade. 

I've never seen a Kiz squirrel cage quite like the one you've pictured though...

The stock foam spacers have to be removed. I've done a few of these swaps since I did mine originally and I've ALWAYS had to trim the hole in the blower box to accept the Kia squirrel cage. If you do it properly, all the stock material can go back if anyone decides to return the blower to factory parts. Note that the mount holes on the blower may not line up exactly either, but they're close and plastic so it's easy to modify.

As I've said a BUNCH of times: The stock duct system in the Z SUCKS! The Kia blower helps because it uses brute force to increase the airflow.  (I also have the great fortune to have the Hayhurst designed Ultra Heaven Center Ductwork replacement, so I have incredible airflow, but he never produced these for sale...)

When you're trimming the hole, do it a little at a time. You're going to tilt the squirrel cage in - NOT DROP IT IN STRAIGHT - so the trimmed hole doesn't need to be a perfect circle AND/OR the exact diameter of the Kia squirrel cage. I wish I'd made a YouTube video of how I did mine...

Mine was the junkyard find all those many years ago, I daily drive Goldie in Phoenix Arizona (anyone sick of hearing me say that yet?), I demand that my A/C works at it's peak (Raised in Idaho, never got used to the Arizona heat) - the Kia Blower has never failed me.

OK - I 'll mark it up carefully & see how it goes. 

19 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

So I finally remembered to look at the VDO PM9196 that I have waiting to go into the 260Z. I already put one in the 240Z without trimming. I guess I'll find out if it's different with the 260Z. As I mentioned before, the holes need to be enlarged to line up better with the 240Z housing.

The squirrel cage measures 5.75 inches in diameter.

Side view

Outside

OK - thanks Steve 

Same overall dimensions as the 4 seasons one, so mine is not a quirk.

prepped & painted

PXL_20230923_150531593.jpg

The blower needs a cushion - I put closed cell foam on the housing first - that didn't work so I transferred  it to the lip of the blower motor outer flange

PXL_20230923_160245608.jpg

The stock bolts were too long now, so I switched to shorter M5 hardware. Bolts line up with stock holes, no mod to casing required

PXL_20230923_161246657.jpg

squirrel cage offset

PXL_20230923_160952381.jpg

• Like 4