IGNORED

New Z Concept by Privateer Artist

I get a little lost with most of the "updated redesign" results of most cars. Including the Z.

There are people that say they see the first gen Z in all of the revisions that came after the 280Z, but I'm not one of them. I "get it" with the ZX and can clearly see the lineage, but after that, I lose it. I see no original Z in anything that came after it. Not to say that some of the successors aren't nice cars, but I just don't look at them and think 240, 260, or 280.

Lately though, there have been several manufacturers closely following the original visual design with a brand new car. Like the new Mustang, the Challenger, the Mini, etc... IMHO, they all represent the original visual design very well.

So all that makes me wonder what would happen if they tried this:

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

I think if Nissan put the original 240z design back into production they would sell million of them.  Update the suspension, brakes and electronics but leave the exterior exactly as it was.

• Like 1

Car design has to evolve to stay relevant in the market place simply because of what people want to buy.   But in some cases the original instantly becomes a classic recognizable shape  and nothing after that compares favorably.  Sports Cars like Mustangs, Cameros, Challengers, Z's, etc, etc  are good examples and have all gone through some pretty rough abominations. Mustang and Camero stand out the most for me for some reason.  

Like @Captain Obvious,  I want to say I see the original lines in the later Z models,  but really I don't.  Kind of like knowing some brothers and/or sisters.  You know they're related but they don't look the same (excluding twins of course). 

I think American manufacturers can play the nostalga/retro design with some success,  but I don't that is something the Japanese manufacturers would do,  in my opinion.

11 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I might be a little bit biased  but I think if Nissan put the original 240z design back into production they would sell million of them.  Update the suspension, brakes and electronics but leave the exterior exactly as it was.

I couldn’t agree with you more. It’s been working for Ford in a big way with the Mustang (pretty much unchanged from original design).......not so much with the Camaro. I think if Chevy had made it closer to the original design they would have hit a home run, but they can still do it if they so choose. I just say ditto to everything grannyknot says above......why change perfection. Nissan needs a boost.....this would do it. Not much on their menu today that I would buy......especially since the Xterra is gone. 

Edited by Diseazd

Of the American muscle redo's my vote goes for Challenger as the best done. As for the Japanese... Toyota has decided to give it a try with the new 2020 Supra which  isn't too bad (even though it's really a BMW), I can see the "10 second car" from Fast and Furious.

EDIT: I fully agree with @grannyknot above! I think Nissan would make a killing going back to the original Z roots.

Edited by w3wilkes